GCM Training: Week 3

Training Word of the Week: Routine

Did you find your groove yet?  Heading in to the start of week three and I hope that your training program has become a seamless part of your routine.  A little extra prep goes a long way here.  I always set out my workout clothes for the week with a bag that I have prepped for the gym.  This means that I don’t have to think about my clothes or try to find matching outfits in the morning.  Since I’m already set to go, I have no excuses to miss a workout.

You will also want to start thinking about other routines that will be helpful with the rest of your training.  Do you have a fueling strategy worked out?  Have you figured out what the best breakfast is for you?  What are you doing to be proactive with your recovery?  If you don’t already have these routines set, start to experiment now to see what works best.  Then come race day, you’ll be running like a well oiled machine!

Week In Review:

M- Rest

T- Rest

W- 30 minutes spin + strength

Th- 2 miles + 20 minutes spin

F- Rest

Sa- 6 miles + strength

Su- 40 minutes spin + strength

Catching Up

Luckily, I got over whatever kind of bug I had quickly.  I still took Monday and Tuesday off just to be sure.  Wednesday was the first day back at the gym.  It was a little tough coming back because I still felt pretty tired.

Friday night, we went to a friend’s house to watch the opening ceremonies and play cards against humanity.   Always a funny game!  I feel like I’m going to spend the next two weeks glued to the TV.  I just love watching the Olympics.  Saturday morning we went out with SCRR.  They have split in to half marathon training offering shorter distances.  Even though I could have run the long distance of 9 miles, I decided to keep it short and try for 9:30 pace.  6 miles at 9:22….I’ll take it!  There were so many people out in the city running.  One of my favorite things is seeing everyone out training.  It’s an extra little motivation boost.  The rest of the day was spent writing posts, watching sports, food shopping and studying.  Sunday followed in the usual pattern of church, prepping for the week, checking in on my athletes, and getting ready for the week.

Are you participating in frugal February?  A few of my fellow blogger friends decided to do this together and blog about it.  I accidentally jumped on the band wagon for this as well because we are focused on paying down debt and setting money aside for taxes.  For me, this means no new clothes or workout gear (let’s face it, I really don’t need any thing else!), minimizing money spent on prepared food/restaurants, and minimizing money spent frivolously.  I’m good for the occasional Target or Amazon splurge.

So far, so good. I did buy a running top and socks for $27 but other than that, we have really been able to reel in our spending.  Since we got a head start on this in the month of January, I’ve been able to set aside an extra $400 that will be put towards paying off student loans.  So crazy, right?

This Week on the Blog

Respiratory support with EO’s + a shower melt recipe

Training Plans: Speed Workouts

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and Trish and Wendy with the Weekly Wrap!

What’s your favorite winter Olympic sport?

How is your training going?

What’s your favorite part of your training routine?

February 11, 2018 at 4:47 pm

I have not seen much of the Olympic coverage yet, but I like the skiing and bobsled and ski jump…three sports I will NEVER attempt on my own LOL

February 12, 2018 at 7:30 pm

lol – I would never be able to do the ski jump but bobsledding looks like it would be so much fun!

Meranda@Fairytalesandfitness
    February 11, 2018 at 5:22 pm

I’m impressed that you set your workout clothes out at the beginning of each week. I don’t even do that with my work clothes although I mean to each week. I think i’m just exhausted by Sunday night…haha

Good luck with training.

February 12, 2018 at 7:31 pm

It’s part lazy and part motivation. If I lay them out on the bed, I don’t have to put them away and it takes away my excuses for not being ready to work out.

February 11, 2018 at 7:24 pm

I’ve already bought a new pair of shoes, so no frugal February for me. I did pay off my car though 🙂

February 12, 2018 at 7:31 pm

ohh that’s so awesome!! One of our goals is to pay off our car this year too.

February 11, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Saving that money!! So glad we could hang out on Friday!!

February 12, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Yes so much fun!!

February 11, 2018 at 9:37 pm

I need to start adding spin back into the days when I run to start training for my tri race. Thanks for the reminder! Looks like a great week for you

February 12, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Spin has become my new cross training go to. I need to start adding in rowing.

February 12, 2018 at 7:34 am

I love the idea of setting out workout clothes for the week – I should really do that. Anything to make life easier!

I am glad that your illness didn’t last that long and that you are feeling better. I’m not participating in Frugal February as I just heard about it (lol) but maybe I can do Frugal March!

February 12, 2018 at 7:33 pm

Laying out clothes makes it so much easier! I like frugal March haha….I’ll probably be joining you in that pursuit.

February 12, 2018 at 7:57 pm

I’m glad you are feeling better! I also get motivated when I see other people out running. I like to watch all of the skiing events during the Winter Olympics. Thanks for linking!

February 12, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Glad to hear you’re feeling better! I haven’t heard of Frugal February – I’ve been eyeing some of the new Skirt Sports line for spring so I have a feeling I’m not going to be that frugal LOL!

Shathiso
    February 13, 2018 at 2:42 am

Frugal February?! Lol! I hadn’t heard of that until now, but I think it’s much needed in my household too! Although I was very good – so I running top that I really liked the other day, and then put it back down because I knew I really didn’t need it at all. Thanks for the tips on routine – as I start doing longer and longer runs I am going to experiment with fueling on the run.

Lisa @ MIle by Mile
    February 13, 2018 at 5:04 am

Glad you are feeling better and were able to get back to your workouts! Frugal February sounds like a great idea. I actually haven’t watched any of the Olympics yet!