GCM Training – Week 2

Training Word of the Week : Excitement

Welcome to the start of training week 2.  Isn’t this exciting?  It’s still new and the buzz that comes with a new goal and commitment probably still has you buzzing.  It’s easy to get your workouts in because you are focused and fresh right now.  Not to be a downer but at some point that is going to wear off as the training intensities increase and the runs get longer.  So for the moment just hold on to that excitement and let it boost you through the early part of training.  You’ve got this!

Week In Review: Week 1 training

M- 20 mins core

T- 10 minutes warm-up, 7x 400m repeats @ 7:30 pace, 5 minutes cool-down

W- 20 minutes spinning

Th- Rest

F- Rest

Sa- Rest

Su- Rest

One of our shihtzu pups was watching to make sure my form was ok

Catching Up

What started off as a great first week of training quickly took an unexpected turn.  First, let’s talk about the positives.  On Tuesday, I had a draining day at work.  Driving to the gym I debated on switching my workout to something easier (hindsight, I’m so glad I didn’t!).  I told myself that I would just get started and see how it feels.  The running actually felt very controlled and I could have run this at a faster pace but I’m always afraid of pushing it too hard on a treadmill.  Who wants to go flying off the back of it, right?!

On Wednesday afternoon, I started coughing which I thought was really weird.  I’ve never had a cold start off with coughing.  So, I did a quick workout on the bike and then headed home to go to bed early.  I went to work Thursday morning (when I really should have called off) but left early.  When I came home, I pretty much slept for two days straight.  I quickly developed flu symptoms (chills, body aches, fatigue, coughing and congestion, but no fever).  I’m a little stubborn but I didn’t bother to go get tested because I wasn’t really interested in getting Tamiflu.  Luckily, by Saturday the chills and aches were gone and I was just left with the cough and congestion.  Considering how bad the flu is this year, I am very lucky.  I do encourage those with flu symptoms to self-monitor closely and seek medical attention when needed.  This is especially true if you experience respiratory symptoms and have difficulty breathing!

So after sleeping this off, I got to work on the blog writing posts for the rest of February.  I also got to spend some time studying for my CPT test.  And that’s my week in a nutshell…..short and sweet (or something like that lol).  Tonight, I’ll be cheering on the Eagles and tomorrow I’ll be heading back to work.  Hopefully I’ll have enough energy after work to get a quick core workout in.

This Week on the Blog

On Tuesday, I posted a recap of my January goals and revealed my February goals

On Thursday, I posted the kick-off to my new series where I’m going to discuss the purpose of each type of training in a typical training plan.

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and Trish and Wendy with the Weekly Wrap!

How did your week of training go?

Do you do speed work on the treadmill?

February 4, 2018 at 4:15 pm

You are lucky you could sleep your sickness off in a couple of days. Everyone I know that has had the flu was sick for such a long period of time and some developed other issues as well. On the bright side, it occurred early in your training cycle and you won’t even miss a beat with your training. Thanks for linking!

February 4, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Agreed….it was a really weird course of events but I’m certainly not complaining as I know it could have been much worse. And fingers crossed, this the worst that happens in training this cycle.

Wendy
    February 4, 2018 at 4:30 pm

I’m sorry to hear you were so sick! I have been seeing so many patients with the flu this week, after a lull. I hoped it was going away. Glad you bounced back so quickly. Here’s to a better week for you.

February 4, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Thanks! And hopefully we reach the end of flu season quickly. It’s really going around here.

February 4, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Sorry you had a rough week, but I’m glad you’re bouncing back. Ugh…the dreaded ‘mill. I seldom ever use mine (though I hopped on it TWICE this past week for a couple of short runs). That said, I don’t mind speed work on the ‘mill because it’s usually broken into intervals and not one l-o-n-g stretch of non-stop running in place. Also, I’m tall with very long legs, and i know the ‘mill messes with my stride because I’m paranoid about stubbing my toes and face-planting across the room….so I know I sub-consciously shorten my strides. Again, UGH.

February 4, 2018 at 4:41 pm

Thanks! That’s a good point about speed work on the mill…..and probably the only reason that I can tolerate it lol. It’s a good thing that you brave the elements more often than not so you don’t have to run on the treadmill.

February 4, 2018 at 6:10 pm

So sorry that you were sick in the later part of the week. I feel like this winter has been an especially bad season for the cold, flu, etc. I am glad that you are starting to feel better now.

February 5, 2018 at 5:33 pm

It has been really tough! Thanks!

February 4, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Glad you’re feeling better. I’m paranoid this year since the germs seem to be especially strong. I had the super flu in 2014 and all I wanted to do was sleep.

February 5, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Yes, it seems like this is another bad year. I thought we would have been through the worst of it by now.

February 4, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Oh, bummer on getting the flu but you’e lucky you recovered so quickly. It’s been a doozie this year.

February 5, 2018 at 5:34 pm

It has been!

February 4, 2018 at 9:22 pm

I really hope you are feeling better today. Take care of yourself!

February 5, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Thanks so much!

February 5, 2018 at 8:07 am

I do do speedwork on the treadmill — when I have to. I kind of like it, actually, it makes it easier to hit the paces. But I still prefer to do it outside. Gonna be another really cold one this week.

Your week sounds a lot like mine. Like you, my symptoms are pretty mild (and for me oscillio really helps keep it that way). Nope, also no reason to go to the doctor. I just need rest & lots of fluids — probably didn’t rest enough this weekend, even though I rested a lot — I did some baking. I know, I eat healthy when I’m sick but I also enjoy baking. Weird, huh? But we needed some stuff & it was also healthy baking.

Feel better! We’ve got goals to chase!

February 5, 2018 at 5:35 pm

That is the silver lining of running repeats on the treadmill!
      Thanks so much! Hope you are feeling better too – We do have goals to chase!

February 5, 2018 at 11:43 am

Wow, you were lucky – everyone I’ve heard talking about the flu said it lasted for a couple weeks. I guess all the sleep helped!

I don’t usually use the treadmill for speedwork, but if I have to run on the treadmill I’m either doing speed or hill intervals – I can’t handle the treadmill otherwise.

February 5, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Yes, very lucky!
      hmmm……I should try hill work on the treadmill!