Glass City Half Training – Week 1

Training Word of the Week: Motivation

Welcome to week one of training!  I’m feeling a little nervous even though this is the road to half marathon #23 (24, and 25 as I’m doing 3 half marathons in a 15 day span).  This is where I start every winter.  Feeling just a little unprepared….the hibernation factor has been high with the weather this year.

However, just like the start of a new year, the start of a new training cycle holds magic and potential.  This is a really exciting time!  Let’s kick this week off with a little motivation session.  Last week, we wrote down our training goals.  Today we are going to expand on those goals with the “why” behind it.  Why did you pick this race?  Why is your goal(s) important to you?  How will achieving this goal make you feel?  Any time you get in to a training slump, come back to this and remind yourself why your goals are important!

My Training Motivation

I’m really lucky.  I have a lot of training motivation for this spring.  First, I am a race ambassador for Glass City Marathon and I love having the opportunity to share my journey with the GCM Runners.  I can’t wait to go back and run this race for redemption.  This was my first sub2 half attempt but everything went awry.  My training lacked tempo work, I missed 2 weeks due to a bad cold, I had fueling/GI issues that hit every race around mile 10 (I’ve since figured that out!), and unfortunately trusting the pacer that day did not work in my favor as they started off slow and then picked up the pace.  I hit the wall around mile 7 and kinda threw in the towel.

This year, I’m coming back to enjoy the course, run a smart race, hopefully get a new PR, and enjoy the finish line party!  Last time I ran this race, the field was under construction so we were able to finish in the glass bowl.  I’m really looking forward to finishing on the field this year.

Then, I’m off to run the Cap City Half Marathon.  Also for redemption since it got black flagged last year.  Another really fun race with a great finish line party!  And finally, I’m running PGH with my dad for his 2nd half marathon.  His goal of course is to beat his time from 2 years ago and my goal is to get him there safely.  And enjoy the course because the party it will last the whole day in PGH.  I’m excited and motivated just thinking about it!  Bonus, my #25 Half will be celebrated in my hometown during the 10 year anniversary of the race.

Week In Review:

M- core strength circuit

T- strength training circuit

W-

Th- 30 minutes spinning

F-

Sa- 10 mile long run

Su- 30 minutes spin + strength

Catching Up

I started this week off working late on both Monday and Tuesday and could not recover from that funk.  I’ve been in a pretty big funk the last couple of weeks.  Monday night, I did a barre style core workout that I enjoyed.  I love the barre workouts because they focus on small movements that really engage your abs.  Trust me you will feel it!  Tuesday, I did a quick strength training circuit hitting the major muscle groups.  Wednesday and Thursday, I just wanted to sleep!  I was going to bed at 8pm (I do get up for work at 4:30 am lol).

This weekend, I decided to back off from the usual running around.  After the group run this weekend, I came home to write as many blog posts as I could fit in.  This morning, I didn’t set an alarm.  My plan for the day was to workout, finish meal prep, run out with hubs for some photos, drop food off for a friend and meet up with another friend to discuss study plans for the certified personal trainer exam.  Sleeping in was glorious!  It’s totally my jam.

This coming week I am actually going to run during the week.  Training via hubs training method is not treating me well.  He has trained for marathons in the past by only running once a week.  I have no idea how he gets out there to slog out the miles but it works for him.  It does not work for me however.  Don’t get me wrong, I made it through 10 miles at a 10 minute pace (negative splits) but I was feeling it the last two miles.

I’m really excited about getting back in to a regular training plan.  I need something to follow and someone to be accountable to.  So here goes nothing!

This Week on the Blog

This week I only got one post out….because hello funk.

How to increase your accountability with 3 easy tips

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and Trish and Wendy with the Weekly Wrap!

How is your training going?

Do you have a favorite core workout?

How many races have you done back to back?

January 28, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Wow. I can’t believe your husband trains for marathons by running only once per week. But that’s just further proof that everyone is different and responds to different types of training. Are you doing the 3 halves in 15 days in order to become a half fanatic? Or moon up? Or is that just the way they played out? Just curious. Thanks for linking!

January 29, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Truth! Although I seriously wish I could train like that lol. This is just the way the races fell. I’ve had multiple chances to join half fanatics but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Maybe one of these days!

Meranda@Fairytalesandfitness
    January 28, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Wow, 3 halves in 15 days!
    What does it mean that a race got black flagged?
    Do you get up for work every day at 4:30am?

January 29, 2018 at 5:29 pm

The called the race of due to lighting. It was pouring down rain! The course for diverted and they sent buses out for some people depending on where you were on the course.

Yes! Unfortunately I have to get up that early for work…… Otherwise I wouldn’t haha.

January 28, 2018 at 4:25 pm

I have done a lot of races back to back, but I seldom run any of them for PR’s (because I know that’s just not reasonable for me LOL). I have a bunch of races in April…some of which I’m registered for, and a few that I’m still on the fence. There’s five events, all within 15 days (some are on consecutive Saturdays & Sundays). Too many decisions…

January 29, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Yes, I think I’ll only run the first for April attempt and the rest for fun. 5 events in 15 days!! That’s a lot!

Jennifer @ Fit Nana
    January 28, 2018 at 4:28 pm

What the heck? How can he train by running only one day a week? That’s incredible. I would totally break! lol

And 3 halves in 15 days! That’s a lot of racing! But, it sounds like they’re fun. Hopefully, there won’t be any weather issues this time around. 🙂

I don’t have a favorite core workout. I just do them because I know I need to. haha

January 29, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Right?! Wish I could do that lol.

Yes, I’m hoping the weather will cooperate – that can’t happen two years in a row, right?

Wendy
    January 28, 2018 at 4:45 pm

So how are you training for your halfs? Do you have a plan? One day a week for a marathon? Your husband must have some running genes because not many of us could attempt that!

Hoping the better weather will help get you out of your funk. It sure helped me this week!

January 29, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Right?! Hubs wasn’t even athletic before we met either lol. He just mentally has it together.

I’m writing my own plan. It should be interesting as this is the first time I’m managing my own workouts (after my coaching cert).

January 28, 2018 at 5:33 pm

I guess I am officially starting the Cherry Blossom 10 miler training plan this week too. It is fun to start a new plan isn’t it? I have done back to back 10K races but that is it. Happy running this week!

January 29, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Woohoo!!! How exciting. I loved cherry blossom the year we did it. I hope you love it just as much!

January 28, 2018 at 5:54 pm

Hooray for week 1 of training! The start of a new training cycle always makes me happy.
    I wish I could do the same running plan as your husband! It would save me so much time, lol

January 29, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Right?! If only fitness was that easy!

January 28, 2018 at 8:09 pm

I love barre since it challenges those small muscles that didn’t get use for a while. I know part of that is why I got ITBS. I don’t go to a studio any more, but I love the DVDs, and it means I’m doing the exercises more at home than once a week.

January 29, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Yes! Such small movements but a really big impact. I’m enjoying Barre so far!

January 28, 2018 at 8:19 pm

It’s always fun to kick off a new training cycle! 3 halfs in 15 days – wow! Looking forward to following your training.

January 29, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Yes! It will be a good challenge lol!

January 28, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Three Halfs in 15 days? I agree that running more than once a week is probably a good idea to get ready for that! My husband doesn’t believe in “training” for anything. Lucky for him, I do! I didn’t like Barre because I didn’t feel it. I’m sure that’s because I wasn’t doing it correctly, but I couldn’t tell what I was doing wrong.

January 29, 2018 at 5:39 pm

I think that Barre is actually really hard. It’s so easy to cheat the movements if you’re not with an instructor that is paying attention.

Marcia
    January 28, 2018 at 9:29 pm

You’re going to be a busy girl with 3 halfs in 15 days. The most I’ve done is the Flying Pig 3way which is a 5k and 10k back to back then a half the next day. The Gasparilla will be a new racing frequency record for me. My husband grew up in Toledo so I am well acquainted with the city from all the visits to the in-laws house. How fun to be a race ambassador!

January 29, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Flying pig is also on my list! We’ve done the 10k but since it’s the same weekend as Pittsburgh, it’s hard to get there.

So excited for you to run gasparilla!!

Annette
    January 29, 2018 at 8:41 am

Yay! Week one is so exciting! I started doing a weekly recap leading up to my peak race and, I am enjoying it. Excited to follow along on yours, Sara! xo

Crystal Brenneman
    January 29, 2018 at 9:20 am

I can’t wait to see what this training cycle has for you!!!

January 29, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Hahahaha I’m not quite sure how it’s going to go…..I may have to wait until the fall for my next pr but I’m going to make the best of this for sure!

Lisa @ TechChick Adventures
    January 29, 2018 at 10:15 am

I’m starting my GCM half training this week! I’m on a low mileage plan, hoping it calms down all of the hamstring issues I have. I will hopefully have a sub 2 hr race also!

January 29, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Yes!! I’m so excited to follow your training!! Hope you’re hamstring heals quickly!

Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete
    January 29, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Nice week! I can’t wait to see the rest of your training leading up to GC!

Shathiso
    January 30, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Three halves in 15 days?!?! And 25 altogether! Wow! Now that is quite something. Running in your home town is always so special too. I’ll be doing my first half in May and it will be in my home town so that has me even more excited!