GCM Training – 0 Week

Eeeks!  One week left until spring training starts.  That means that it is prep week.  Going forward, I have a word picked out for each training week.  Before we get in to that, let’s make sure that you are all ready to start your training.  Did you take time to invest in your running base?  Do you have your training plan picked out?  Did you schedule time for your workouts?  Do you have a running buddy lined up to make training easier?  Did you write down your training goals yet?

I hope that you have your solid training base!  If you haven’t been running regularly, please adjust your training goals.  I am right there with you.  I know that I need to dial back my paces until I get back to a regular schedule.  This will help to decrease injury risk and the chance that I will get burned out.  The rest of these questions can be figured out this week.  Need some suggestions for a training plan?  You can see the links in this post or feel free to ask me questions.  There is a training plan out there for everyone’s needs.  Each plan has its own feel with intensity, volume and number of training days.

My Training Goals:

This cycle is going to be all about consistency and core strength.  Since I’m not coming in to this cycle with a great base, I am going to start conservatively.  My speed and tempo sessions will be based off current ability for the first 4 weeks.  After that, I’ll bump it up to goal pace speeds.  Hopefully when the weather breaks, I’ll be ready for some serious track workouts.  Core strength is so important for runners so I’m going to train it all: abs, hip stabilizers, spine stabilizers, and glutes.  I saved a bunch of videos on YouTube that I’m going to start trying out.  I’ll let you know which ones I think are keepers!

Week In Review:

M-

T-

W- 30 minutes cardio (bike)

Th- 3 miles

F-

Sa- 8 miles

Su- 40 minutes cardio (bike) + core

Catching Up

This was kind of a crazy week.  Hubs was out of town so I had the pleasure of snow removal duties.  Work is really keeping me busy lately.  I know that I need to stop using that as an excuse for not getting things done.  Moving forward, that is my big goal for the upcoming week!

Friday, I got pulled in to a few extra meetings at the end of the day.  Instead of fighting through the traffic, hubs and I ended up with an impromptu date night at Burgatory and Southern Tier.  I’m not really that in to beer but they have the best beer there!  My favs are Coffee Pumpking, Ginger Beer, Cinnamon Roll, and Thick Mint.

Saturday, we joined Steel City for the weekly group run.  A fellow group member is recovering from surgery for breast cancer and the group decided to put on a Pink Out for her.  Everyone showed up decked out in pink and we wrote notes that will be delivered to her.  It was so sweet to see everyone come out and show their support!  It’s the reason why I love the running community.  Runners have the biggest hearts!  We are still dealing with snowy sidewalks which made the hills on course a little difficult.  It just makes me that much more excited about our continued warm up.  Next week is looking good for local long runs!

Sunday was spent just like any other: organizing, cooking, working out, and preparing for the upcoming week.  Hubs and I are currently on the couch watching the football games.  Go Jags and Eagles!

This week we are making chicken and veggies with the RFES peanut sauce.  It’s one of my favorites!  One of my other goals is to get more veggies in my diet and less processed foods.  Over the weekend when hubs was out of town, I ate well and didn’t snack as much.  It made such a difference in how I felt!  I even lost a few pounds and I’ve been able to maintain that loss.

This Week on the Blog

Cross Training For Runners

The Choice

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and Trish and Wendy with the Weekly Wrap!

How is your training going?

Are you cheering on any football teams this weekend?

What’s your current fav for meal prepping?

Fairytales and fitness
    January 21, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Well, we are Steelers fans here so I guess if we can’t cheer for them, we’ll cheer for the Eagles!

Sounds like you are going into this training cycle with a smart plan!

January 21, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Yes, also a Steelers fan! So really as long as the Pats don’t make it everyone is happy right? lol. Hubs is an Eagles fan so I’m jumping ship to cheer them on with him tonight.

January 21, 2018 at 4:51 pm

How sweet for you all to do the pink out run on behalf of your friend 😉 That was such a nice gesture!!!! I’m in Iowa, and my state is a mix of Packers fans and Vikings fans….I’m neutral, but I’ll be cheering for the Vikes.

January 21, 2018 at 5:40 pm

I would be happy for the Vikes to. It would be kinda cool for them to play the super bowl in their own stadium (even if they are the visiting team which would be weird).

Wendy
    January 21, 2018 at 5:22 pm

I love that you all did a pink out for your running buddy. I hope she’s doing ok!

We are from Chicago but believe it or not, we root for the Packers. My youngest son has been a Packers fan forever and the Bears have just been so disappointing. We kind of keep it on the down low because people around here are very loyal to the Bears. I don’t know who we will cheer for. We don’t like the Vikings at all.

January 21, 2018 at 5:42 pm

So far she is recovering well from the surgery and just waiting for more information.
      haha I totally understand! Hubs is an Eagles fan….that’s a hard thing in Steelers nation lol.

January 21, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Woohoo for training starting soon – how exciting!

Sorry to hear about your friend but how that she is doing well. I’m sure she can feel all of your support for her!

January 23, 2018 at 6:26 pm

I’m so excited for training. Hopefully having that schedule to follow will get me motivated!

Jessie
    January 21, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Well, I’m cheering for the Vikings 🙂

I love the Pink Out idea. very sweet!

January 23, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Would have been cool if the Vikings won so they could play the superbowl at home!

Christy
    January 22, 2018 at 6:34 am

The Pink Out run sounds very awesome and I love the idea of writing her notes too! I bet she will love that. We watched the games yesterday and were rooting for the wrong team both times. Lol. My husband and son are Bears fans so it wasn’t too big of a deal though

January 23, 2018 at 6:28 pm

She got the notes yesterday and was very excited about all of the support!
      Lol – I would have liked to see Jags vs Eagles. At least one team made it I guess

January 22, 2018 at 2:53 pm

I can speak from experience: core is vital! I work on it all the time to make sure everything is stable for training. I use the off-season to really double down since once I do start training, my time will be crunched a bit more.

January 23, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Yasss! To the core work! Do you have a favorite routine?

January 22, 2018 at 8:23 pm

I’ve never tried the peanut sauce from RFES, but I made the blueberry scones a few weeks ago and they were so good!!

January 23, 2018 at 6:29 pm

I love scones!! I need to try that recipe!

January 23, 2018 at 7:33 am

I definitely need to adjust my expectations and start short and slow when I start running again – hopefully this weekend. I bought regular popcorn to make from scratch and cut out all the junk in the microwave stuff. It is a much more wholesome snack that way!

January 23, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Oh, yes! It’s been so long since we’ve bought real popcorn to make! That’s a great idea

Agness of Fit Travelling
    January 26, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Such a great prep week, Sara! Great your focusing on the core strength which is great for prevention. What kind of exercises do you do for the core?