30 In Running & Training

Weekly Wrap: PGH Marathon Kick Off Run

Hello there!  It’s so nice to be back with the weekly wrap this week after taking some time off for the holidays.  I still haven’t been consistent over the last week with my workouts but I did make it to the gym for some cardio sessions and strength training.

In case you missed it last week, I posted about picking your training goals to meet your upcoming racing goals.  This spring and summer, I’ll be running 6 half marathons.  One of those as many of you know is the Glass City Half marathon which I am a race ambassador.  This is base building time for me and many other spring halfer’s as training won’t officially kick off until February.

I’m really looking forward to sharing this race journey through my weekly wrap sessions.  In my 2018 goals post, I shared my racing goals for 2018.  One of those goals is to run a sub 1:55 half marathon.  We’ll see if I can hit that in the spring.  As you know, I’ve taken what I feel is a lot of time off this winter because I went straight in to hibernation mode with this weather.

After taking a few weeks off, I was almost afraid to jump back in.  What if I couldn’t maintain the pace that I hoped?  Not that sitting on my butt would help me achieve that but I just couldn’t bring myself to hit the treadmill.  Today, I went to the kick off run with the Steel City Road Runners and P3R.  I managed 6 miles at a 9:35 pace.  Given the weather and some of the street conditions, I was very pleased with that.

Today gave me the kick in the pants that I needed to get back in to regular training.  Being a pacer for SCRR, I know that there are other people out there counting on me to show up and run at the pace so they can meet their goals.  I also think that running with others is just easier.  I can turn my mind off and just go.  So here’s to my new beginning!  Let’s get back to training.

The Nugget of Wisdom

You need to have a purpose behind what you are doing.  If there isn’t any purpose, there won’t be enough motivation to get up and show up every day.  For me right now, my purpose is helping others meet their goals.  Come February, I’ll step my game up during the week so that I can also achieve my own goals.  I also, have made a deal with a running friend to give up pacing on a race that I normally pace so I can get myself a new PR.  I haven’t run a PR in that distance since 2014 when I decided to run with my pacer friend on a whim.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Pittsburgh Marathon Training Kick Off Run

This run was actually rescheduled from yesterday and I could not have been happier!  It was about 12 or 15 degrees when we started running today but with the sun out, it was tolerable.  They had a really nice setup, as always!  Brook’s was on-sight with a first look at the new Pittsburgh marathon Launch’s.  Dick’s sporting goods was there with giveaways.  The P3R store was set up and there was plenty of food and coffee on hand!  Thankfully this year, they had a heated tent so you could stay warm before and after the run.

We ran a 4 mile loop to the North Shore and a 2 mile loop through the city and the Strip District.  Those that were completing 8 miles continued for an out and back on the Heritage Trail for the last two miles.  One of the best perks of training with SCRR is that they offer on course water stops.  In this case, the loops offered a chance to catch a quick drink before heading back out for a few miles.  If you are in the area and haven’t checked them out yet, please join us for a run to check things out!  You can swing by as a drop in at any time.  If you choose to sign up, the perks of membership far outweigh the costs.  Have any questions, just ask!

Sharing the love

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and Tricia and HoHo for the Weekly Wrap

What are your training goals for this spring?

January 7, 2018 at 7:29 pm

I love those Brooks! Are they the Launches? When I was running Shamrock this year they had some with 4 leaf cloves on them. Unfortunately they didn’t have my size.

January 7, 2018 at 7:40 pm

They are launch’s! And the tongue is a terrible towel. I can’t help myself, I will have to get a pair when they are released. Ohh, I think I saw the 4 leaf clover ones! I love that they do fun designs!

Wendy
    January 7, 2018 at 7:39 pm

I’m looking forward to following your training, especially as you refocus on a time goal for this half! I’d love to sub-2 this year, but it depends on the race. I’ve got a couple hilly halfs in mind so that may be tough for me! Plus I’m still doing the run walk intervals. I’m working on cutting back on those.

January 9, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Thanks so much! I’m sure that you’ll be able to find your sub 2 half course.

January 7, 2018 at 8:19 pm

How nice to train with a group that offers water stops on course! Your hibernation was a great way to rejuvenate and recover before you begin training again. What’s the saying? Resting is part of running! I think you ran very strong at the kickoff run too. I look forward to following along as you train and accomplish those 2018 goals! Thanks for linking!

January 9, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Rest is part of the plan! How easily we forget!

January 7, 2018 at 8:23 pm

12 degrees? That’s dedication. Good luck with your training.

January 9, 2018 at 5:22 pm

lol……if it wasn’t for the group run, I would have stayed in bed!

January 7, 2018 at 8:43 pm

It is really exciting that you have such a fun race schedule ahead. I am really looking forward to watching your training and cheering you on

January 9, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Thanks so much!

January 7, 2018 at 8:55 pm

I admire you for getting out in that cold! We very very rarely see temps like that, so my winter running is like most people’s spring. Keep your 15 degrees and I’ll keep my 45!! 😉

January 9, 2018 at 5:23 pm

I would trade my temps for yours any day! lol

January 7, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Those training runs sound so fun with your group! There’s a good-sized group an hour away (in Des Moines), but I’m just no into that weekly drive to make it happen (when I’m actually training for a race). I don’t have any lofty spring goals in mind, but I would like to get back to a more consistent sub-2 for my 13.1’s.

January 9, 2018 at 5:25 pm

An hour would be too long to drive for a run! I have no doubts that you will make it back to sub2 in no time!

January 7, 2018 at 9:47 pm

I’m still holding back until my PF is better — hopefully that will happen soon and the weather will be more sane by then!

January 9, 2018 at 5:26 pm

that sounds like a good plan! Hopefully that heals quickly!

January 7, 2018 at 10:17 pm

How fun that you were able to take part in the Pittsburgh Marathon Training Kick Off Run! I’ve heard so many good things about that race and I hope to do it one year.

Love your nugget of wisdom. Without the ‘WHY’ it’s hard to know why you’re doing anything. The why is so important because it’s what will push you during training, or doing a race, when things get hard!

January 9, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Yes, so important! When you sign up for it you’ll have to let me know! Although I think we are both doing RnR Chicago so hopefully we can meet up then!

January 7, 2018 at 10:50 pm

Sounds like you’ve got some great races planned. Looking forward to following your training!

January 9, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Thanks, Michelle!

January 8, 2018 at 7:46 am

Good job getting back at it after the holidays! With this weather, it sure isn’t easy. 🙁

January 9, 2018 at 5:26 pm

So true!

Janelle @ Run With No Regrets
    January 8, 2018 at 8:37 am

PRing the half marathon is a great goal! That was one of my running goals last year. I love races that have organized group training runs. I’ve never run in Pittsburgh…it’s definitely on my bucket list!

January 9, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Ohh, yes! If you sign up for it you’ll have to let me know!

January 8, 2018 at 8:31 pm

After taking time off from running in this weather, I was worried I’d forgotten how to run, ha ha! You work so hard, I’m sure you’ll get your 1:55 HM this year. Happy running in warmer temps this week!

January 9, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Yes!! I need to get outside and take advantage!

Shathiso
    January 9, 2018 at 3:48 am

Looking forward to following your Half Marathon journey and crossing all my fingers and toes that you get that PR! I will be doing my first Half Marathon ever in May! So excited but incredibly nervous too!

January 9, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Thanks! How exciting!! Can’t wait to hear about your training!

January 9, 2018 at 11:12 am

That’s a lot of half marathons! Having water stops provided on a training run sounds amazing.

January 9, 2018 at 5:28 pm