Weekly Recap: Finding a New Groove

Hello there!  This past week, I put out a post with some December goals that I have set for myself.  When I’m not officially training, I don’t have the sense of urgency to train like I should.  Plus, with the hustle and bustle of the season, It’s easy to let all of that go to the wayside.  This week, I did a great job getting back into the groove with workouts.

M: Insanity Plyometric Cardio

T: Insanity Power and Resistance

W: 40 mins on the bike

Th: 60 minutes step class

F: Rest

S: 3 mile run

S: TBD

My thoughts on Insanity

I have used this program in the past and have seen good results with weight loss from it.  Now that I am popping videos back in, I’m finding this might not be the right program for me right now.  Everyone is moving at such a quick pace.  Even thought they always tell you to use proper form, the focus is on quickly completing reps.  Form is bound to go out the window (maybe that’s just me?).  And let’s face it, it’s just intense!  This week, I’m going to use a few of the Hammer and Chisel videos and some Nike+ training workouts with an increased focus on my cardio.  Right now, I would rather do controlled movements for strength and core work.

Breakfast Saves the Day

I started actually eating breakfast this week (not just having a snack bar on the go).  This has been a game changer for me.  I’m not starving in the afternoon and making trips to the cafeteria looking for things to eat.  My go to this week has been a variation of the Run Fast Eat Slow oatmeal.  I topped it with dried tart cherries and cashews for some crunch and texture.

Federal Galley

A new food place opened up this week, and I had to cave and try it!  You may remember that I posted about the Smallman Galley a few weeks back.  This is the second location with the same concept.  Very similar set up, 4 rotating kitchens for up and coming chefs that allow them to learn the business end of opening a restaurant while raising funds.  We got food from two of the kitchens, Provision PGH and Supper.  It did not disappoint!  We got the poutine (duck fat fried fries with the usually fixins’), the burger of the moment (bacon jam and blue cheese), brussels (with a dippy yolk and focaccia), and apple cheesecake.  We did split all of that lol.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Glass City Marathon Updates

Still looking for a spring marathon or half?  Early bird pricing is still available for GCM!  Early bird pricing ends on 12/31 ($55 half/ $75 marathon).

Plus, they just announced that the first 2.500 to sign up for the half will receive a quarter zip jacket to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the race – bonus!

You can check out the course maps here.  One of my favorite things is the finish line (and the after party).  The marathon and half finish inside the “Glass Bowl” which is the football field at the University.  Afterwards, the food and beer abounds.

Sharing the love

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and Tricia and HoHo for the Weekly Wrap

December 10, 2017 at 7:41 pm

I’m glad you have found a cross training to work for you! I’m not a huge breakfast person so I totally get it!

December 11, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Yes! I know that I really need to work on leg and core strength so I’m going to keep on it!

December 10, 2017 at 8:57 pm

I bought Insanity a few years ago when I was traveling all the time for work and had every intention doing it at hotel rooms. That did not last long. I did a few workouts and they are pretty Insane. I am so sore after I do them, then I realize why I don’t do it any longer. Sometimes I eat breakfast if I am not working out beforehand, but when I do and workout I am always hungry afterwards so I feel like I just ate two breakfasts.

December 11, 2017 at 7:20 pm

That’s what I found as well! My calves were killing me after the first two workouts!

December 10, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Oh, I need to put RFES on my wish list. I have the e-book version but that doesn’t work for me for recipes. I don’t enjoy many videos anymore for similar reasons. I like to go at my own pace!

December 11, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Yes! I think that it’s a great cook book! I think that’s the theme of this week…..going at your own pace!

Wendy
    December 10, 2017 at 9:08 pm

I spied some doTerra deep blue in your picture. I’ve been using that on my elbow. It’s pretty amazing!

December 11, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Yes! I love using the deep blue 🙂 It’s become a go to for me

December 10, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Interesting I have had the same thought on some of the workout videos like that as well. I would rather do correct form and less reps myself

December 11, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Yes! It’s one of my pet peeves….I think you need to have good form. Otherwise, why bother lol

December 10, 2017 at 9:44 pm

I have never tried Insanity…I’m horribly uncoordinated and there is NO way I’d be able to keep up without face-planting. My form would be a joke, so I doubt I’d get much out of it (other than a thorough sweat session).

December 11, 2017 at 7:24 pm

It’s good for a sweat session…….I feel like I’m just jumping around lol!

December 11, 2017 at 7:39 am

I had the same thoughts about Insanity when I tried it at home. Some gyms offer Insanity classes now, so I wonder how they compare? I attempted Hammer & Chisel a little over a year ago. The workouts with Autumn were great, but I couldn’t get through Sagi’s creepy one liners, ha! The ChaLEAN Extreme program with Chalene Johnson is really great — as long as you can get past the cheesy early 2000s set/wardrobe! That program helped me build muscle and become more comfortable with lifting heavier (for me) weight.

December 11, 2017 at 7:26 pm

I went to a gym insanity class once and I wasn’t a fan….of the two, I would rather do the workout videos. Hahaha I think the same thing about Sagi. I’ve only done one of the hammer videos but I couldn’t stop laughing at him. I’ll have to look in to Chalean!!

December 11, 2017 at 8:29 am

I agree! Although I like not training, I find it easier to make excuses as to why I take an extra rest day, etc.

I am happy that you are loving Insanity! I have heard of the program before but I never tried it. I think I’ll look into it!

December 11, 2017 at 7:28 pm

I’m not sure that I would recommend insanity……It’s just not what I’m looking for right now. I know that I need to focus on doing exercises with good form and increasing my core strength. I’m going to try some other options.

December 11, 2017 at 10:19 am

I haven’t tried Insanity because it sounds insane. LOL. I prefer slow and controlled exercises. I usually eat oatmeal topped with yogurt and fruit. I love that cookbook! Thanks for linking.

December 11, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Yes! Slow and controlled is my jam for strength training! I need to get more in to the oatmeal. I’m still struggling to eat breakfast everyday.

December 11, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I have the Runner’s World Iron Strength workout, and I will pause the DVD so I can do the proper form, and the number of reps they’re doing. I want a good workout, and I don’t want to be rushed through it. I’ll watch the sets to know what to do, and then do them at my pace.

December 11, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Ohh! You just reminded me that I have that as well. I need to get in to those videos more! I like the way that you work through with the pauses.

December 12, 2017 at 9:24 pm

I haven’t tried Insanity specifically, but in general not a fan of workouts that push you to go at a frantic pace. Being completely wiped out at the end of every workout is not my goal!