Weekly Wrap: Christmas Story Run

This week I got a few more workouts under my belt but I had to battle against a couple late nights at the office.  I think that we all know this already but when you don’t have a plan to follow it’s so easy to not workout.  I need to get some structure back so that I don’t lose all of my gains from this fall.

M – Rest

T- 1 mile run, 25 minute row, 20 minute bike

W – 40 minute bike, strength training circuit

Th – Rest

F – Rest

S – Christmas Story Run

Christmas Story Run

Have you done this race before?  If not, you really need to experience it.  So. Many. Costumes!  The race starts downtown at the old Higby mall in Public Square.  The 5k runs to the Christmas Story house while the 10k is an out and back to the house.

This year, the weather was perfect!  I thought I would test my wings and run with the 8:30 pacer today.  She kept on creeping up in the corral closer and closer to the 8:00 pacer.  The gun went off and she was off!  I went weaving through the crowds to catch her.  I hit the 1 mile marker at 8:05 and she was still ahead of me.  I decided it was better to trail off.

Mile 2 clocked in at 8:14 but I was still trailing.  I started to catch up as we neared 2.5.  This part of the course is on the out and back.  The lead runners were heading back to the city by this point.  Watching the other runners always gives me a boost and a welcome distraction.  Somewhere in this section, I ran past hubs and didn’t even notice it.  After the 3 mile marker he caught up to me and told me he had side stitches that he couldn’t get rid of.

We walked for a bit so he could take some deep breaths.  I decided to run back with him.  Since I haven’t been training for this race I didn’t really care about getting a new PR.  We alternated running and walking all the way back to the finish line.  I told him that we could slow the pace but it seemed like every time we went back to running we settled around 8:30-8:40.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

When we were running the bridge to get back to the finish line, one of our friends from SCRR caught up to us.  We decided to run together to the finish.  It gave us a nice little kick and our friend got a new PR.  I loved coming in to the finish line to cheers from the crew that already crossed the finish line.  And I crossed the finish line less than a minute slower than last year.  I’ll take that as a win for running without training!  After crossing the line, I went back to find my dad and run him in as well.  He got a PR today!

After the race, we went out for brunch.  I would share pics of the food but we were so hungry we dug in as soon as the plates hit the table.  Then, we went back to the Christmas Story House (free entry with your race registration).  Finally, on the way home we went to Jeni’s Ice Cream in Chagrin Falls.  Such a cute little town.

Not quite the race that I was hoping for but I was really happy to be able to run sub 9 comfortably.  My goal this month is to keep my long runs between 8:40-9:00 with one steady state run per week and one easy run.  I can’t quite decide what it is that I want to do for my strength training/cross training yet.  So I’ll use a few old favorites this week to help me get back to a solid schedule while I’m deciding.

A Sunday Well Spent

Today, I spent most of my day prepping.  Food prep, writing training plans, writing blog posts, and deciding how I want to structure my week to get back on track.  My main December goals are to drink more water every day, eat clean and minimize the amount of snacks I buy at work, and get back on a structured training plan to build my base.

What is your favorite strength training routine?  Any workout recommendations?

December 3, 2017 at 8:02 pm

That race looks like so much fun! I am a sucker for fun holiday themed races 🙂

December 4, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Thanks lady! This one is always a good time!

December 3, 2017 at 8:07 pm

wow how great for your dad! I love to do kickboxing as part of my strength training and cardio

December 4, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Kickboxing! That is a really good workout. I’ll never forget the first time I went to a kickboxing class…..I had to leave because I thought I was going to pass out lol. I think my gym still does them. I’ll have to look in to this.

December 3, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Sometimes it is nice to see or help someone achieve a PR rather than yourself. Sounds like a fun race! I have a holiday themed race next weekend!

December 4, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Totally agree! Good luck at your race this weekend and have fun!!

December 3, 2017 at 8:31 pm

What a fun race! I agree…..watching/helping someone else achieve a PR or a new distance is SO much more fulfilling than one’s own achievements 😉

December 4, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Definitely! That’s part of the reason why I pace so much.

December 3, 2017 at 8:33 pm

I have heard of this race! But, I was unaware you actually could tour the house. That’s pretty cool! Also pretty cool it getting to run in with your dad to celebrate his PR. PS…I love the pace chart in our RRCA coaching book! Thanks for linking!

December 4, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Yes! It’s fun to really make a day out of this race. And the pace chart is great in the RRCA book. I use it all the time!

December 3, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Good for your dad! So sweet that you went back to find him–I love that!

December 4, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Thanks! I usually try to go back and run him in depending on the course.

December 3, 2017 at 9:41 pm

I haven’t done a Christmas run, despite all of them looking like a lot of fun. Usually I’ve done all of my races by December and am taking it easy.

December 4, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Yes! I have a love hate relationship with December races because my training usually takes a dip in November lol.

Jessie
    December 3, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Congrats to your dad!

I love pacing/helping other people achieve their goals. More fun sometimes than going for your own new PR for sure. Great week, sounds like a lot of fun!

December 4, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Totally agree! It is a lot of fun helping someone else get a race goal 🙂

Lisa @ MIle by Mile
    December 4, 2017 at 5:12 am

Sounds like such a fun race! Congrats to your dad on his PR- thats so great that you were able to run with him to the finish! I’ve been using a strength training plan from Tina Muir and her strength coach, Drew Watts, since May and I love it! it’s the first time I’ve been really consistent with following a specific strength training plan.

December 4, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Thanks! That sounds like a great plan but it’s a little steep. Do you think that it’s worth the price?

December 4, 2017 at 5:55 am

You are so right about being more motivated when I am following a set plan – Hmmm. Congrats to your Dad – that race sounds fun – what is the Christmas Story House?

December 4, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Thanks! It’s the house from the movie “The Christmas Story” If you haven’t seen it, you should watch it!

December 4, 2017 at 8:07 am

Sounds like you had a really fun weekend as well! I think you ran an awesome race since you’re not really training — although I do better when it’s cold. 🙂

I downloaded one of those free water tracking apps a while ago. I do find it helpful!

December 4, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Thanks! I agree…..I prefer colder running weather. Ohh – I like that idea for water tracking. Thanks!

Wendy
    December 4, 2017 at 10:48 am

Congrats on your Christmas Run! At least no one shot their eye out… :p

December 4, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Yess! lol no one shot their eye out!

December 4, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Nice job! As a pacer yourself, what do you think about pacers who are so much faster than their pace group?

December 4, 2017 at 7:18 pm

That’s a good question. Assuming the mile markers were correctly placed, I would expect that running pace would be under goal pace but I try to stay within 10 seconds on the mile. It’s also hard with crowds to weave through and stay around pace so I get it for the first half mile. If it was a half marathon and the first two miles were that fast though, that could have bad news for the pace group.

When I went for my sub 2, I knew that goal pace was 9:09 but I trained to be ok with running at 9. Even on that day, running with the pacers my miles were all sub 9 until I hit the wall but I went in to that expecting to be able to run a bit faster.

It is a really good reminder that as a pacer I want to be pretty close to goal pace so that I don’t frustrate or discourage anyone and give them the best chance to be successful. I have also had runs where my pace was under as a pacer….sometimes you just get in the zone or start chatting with people and the pace just drops. I think it’s key to read your crew or talk to them as your running to see how they are doing. That was a really long answer for a simple question.

Teresa
    December 4, 2017 at 10:25 pm

Congratulations to your Dad and what a fun race! I love anything ‘A Christmas Story’ related …..triple dog dare you! 🙂

December 6, 2017 at 5:41 pm