Weekly Wrap: Gobble Gobble

Hello!  I hope that you all had a nice week full of family and fun!  Our family was out of town this year so hubs and I made our own turkey.  Actually, the first time that we have cooked a turkey since we got married over 10 years ago!  We had a nice quite Thanksgiving.

The last couple of weeks, I’ve been hit or miss with workouts.  I’m totally ok with that because I always take a little downtime before spring training starts.  This week was the first time since Urban Bourbon that I felt more back on track.  I started reading the book Run Less, Run Faster and it inspired me to be more intentional with my cross training days.  On Monday, I went to the gym to try out the rowing machine.  I have to admit I was scared to even get on it!  I wasn’t sure if I could even do it for 5 minutes.  Once I got started, it wasn’t bad.  My only concern is if I’m doing it with proper form.  Luckily, I have an awesome friend that is going to give me some pointers this week!  I’ll keep you updated.

Tuesday

I went to the gym to do what I thought would be a tempo run on the treadmill but I started out a bit ambitious with my speed so it turned in to an interval session.  Still a good sweat session!

Wednesday – Rest Day

Thursday

We got up early this morning to go pace the Pittsburgh PNC YMCA Turkey Trot.  It was 23 degrees when I got up and I immediately started to regret that decision.  Once we got down there and started running it was actually a beautiful day!  There were so many people out.  It was a really great time.  For the 5k, I got to pace with hubs.  We had a great time and got so many people across the line before us.  We even came in with a 9 minute pace on the dot!  For the 5 miler, I dropped back to the 9:30 pace with Betsy and we came in with a 9:29 pace.  It doesn’t get much closer than that.

Friday – Rest Day and Back to the grind

After work today, hubs and I went out for sushi.  Then, we decided that the great weather was worth it to brave a trip to Phipps Conservatory for the opening night of their winter garden show.  Since we have a membership, we decided to go even if it was just a really quick trip.  Not surprising, it was really busy.  If you are planning to go on a weekend, I would suggest purchasing your tickets ahead of time so you don’t have to wait in line.  PS – there is a bar there and you can take your drinks through the displays.  It makes the lines much more tolerable.  You’re welcome!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Saturday

We went out with SCRR for their weekly long run.  I was debating on which pace group to go with.  Since hubs was going with the 9 minute group I decided to just go for it.  I’m always nervous about if I’ll be able to keep up with the group when I go with something outside of my comfort zone……even though this is my new comfort zone.  I ended up making a new friend that was pushing the pace a little and came out with an 8:42 pace overall for 6 miles.  I know that I shouldn’t be surprised with this, but I’m still surprised that this is my new normal.  For the next 4 weeks, I’m just going to keep between 6-10 miles for my long run at a 9 minute pace.

Sunday

After going to church, I came home to cook lunch, write up my weekly wrap, and then we were off to meet Hub’s family for dinner.  They were in NY for Thanksgiving and we went to meet them halfway.

How was your Thanksgiving?

Have you ever used the rowing machine as part of your training plan?

Are you officially in the off season now?

November 26, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Is there an off season lol. I always seem to run January marathons. Then it’s right in to training for Pittsburgh. Hope you guys had a wonderful holiday!!

November 26, 2017 at 9:09 pm

hahah…you are right! I always take the month of November or December as an off season. Usually because I’m burned out from marathon training. Thanks & hope that you had a great holiday as well!!

November 26, 2017 at 7:35 pm

It was really cold here Thanksgiving morning too but once I started running I really warmed up quickly too and was shedding layers. Sounds like a nice quiet Thanksgiving for you sometimes that’s a nice change of pace

November 26, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Yes! The hardest part of winter is figuring out how to dress right. I tend to overdress because I don’t want to be cold pre-race when you have to wait outside.

November 26, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I do CrossFit, so the rower is a regular event in my training regimen. It’s great for the posterior. I’d love to do some distance on it at least weekly.

Off season? Is there such a thing?

November 26, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Awesome!! I really try to incorporate posterior chain exercises. hahaha off seasons…..I always take at least a few weeks because I have burned myself out on marathon training in the past.

November 26, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Great job on the spot-on pacing at the Turkey TrotI I have not tried a rowing machine. I’m curious to hear how you like it for cross training. I’m just now getting to the ON season. My OFF season is in the heat of the summer. The Phipps Conservatory looks like a lovely Christmas tradition. Thanks for linking!

November 26, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Thanks so much! I’ll let you know after I get my lesson how I like using it for training. I think that it shows promise! You are smart to take the summer as an off season!

November 26, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Wow, that’s some fantastic pacing! We use rowing machines at OTF and I suck at them! I am learning better form but have to un-learn my bad form!

November 26, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Thanks! lol I think that form on the rower is tough….I’m interested to see how I am doing when I meet up with my friend.

November 26, 2017 at 9:13 pm

yes, off-season for me! I also have the book Run Less, Run Faster. I have thumbed through it several times, but have not officially “read” it. I need to get on that!

November 27, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Off season is glorious in the winter! I like the ideas that he presents in the book. We’ll see how it works out for me.

Jessie
    November 26, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Great job on the pacing! Sounds like a fun Thanksgiving, low-key for the win!

November 27, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Thanks!

November 26, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Funny you mentioned RLRF – I’ve been eyeing my copy on the shelf and thinking I want to read it again. I’ve never tried the rower at my gym – I’d like to mix up my cross-training a bit.

November 27, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Have you ever tried it for your training? If you have, you’ll have to let me know what you thought of the plan!

November 27, 2017 at 8:06 am

I am officially in off season (maybe one last 5k this weekend; maybe not). It’s a good place to be.

WTG on keeping up the pace! It’s still really hard for me to find people who run my pace. I’m not fast & I’m not super slow . . . where are all the middle of the pack runners, anyway?

If it were just my husband & me we probably wouldn’t have done turkey. Although since I do legs & thighs, and I like dark meat, it works out.

The gardens look amazing!

November 27, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Thanks! Do you have a local running group? We are really lucky here that the running group has a big enrollment. We span the whole way from 7:00 – 13:00 plus a Galloway training group. There is always someone to run with.

November 27, 2017 at 9:18 am

It was cold here Thanksgiving morning as well. Luckily my costume kept me pretty warm, lol

Although I’m technically in my off season, I’m still trying to keep a baseline of fitness so that going back into marathon training won’t be a total shock to my system haha

November 27, 2017 at 9:09 pm

You’re so smart keeping up a strong base in the off season. That is my biggest focus. I need to keep the workouts on the regular so I’m ready in 4 weeks……sounds like such a short break!

November 27, 2017 at 10:08 am

I haven’t tried the rowing machine in years. I’m pretty sure my form was bad, and I would get bored. I wouldn’t last long.

November 27, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I don’t think that I could do it for more than maybe 20 minutes but that’s a pretty good workout!

November 27, 2017 at 10:12 pm

I have heard many people enjoyed that Run Less, Run Faster book. But honestly I like to run a lot so I don’t know if I would like it or not. I always thought it would be fun to pace a race.