Weekly Wrap: What’s Next?

Hello there!  If you didn’t get the chance to read my race recap from the Urban Bourbon Half Marathon, you can find that here.

This past week got off to a slow start.  I took Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as rest days.  Wednesday, I went to the gym for a 45 minute bike ride.  Thursday, I met a friend for 5 easy miles around the lake at North Park.  Saturday, I paced a 5k and Sunday I met up with one of my athletes to brave the weather and run 7 miles in the rain.

Saturday

The Saturday 5k proved to be quite the little challenge.  We were asked earlier in the week if anyone on the pace team had an interest in picking up the 5k Trick or Trot at a local middle school.  They said the run would be around the school campus.  In my mind, I thought that would mean running through parking lots and around sports fields for a nice easy, flat, 5k.  We asked one of the staff members setting up for the race what the course was like.  He pulls out a map and begins to tell us that it goes out the school driveway and in to the woods.  There were two decent down hill portions followed by an equal up hill portion.  With the rain, I had some concerns about running on pace.

I felt like I earned my wings as a cross country runner though!  For being one that tried to avoid running as much as possible in high school, I was happy to complete this course.  I do not know how high schooler’s run this all the time.

It was not the best paced race that I have ever run.  I walked down both hills just to be sure that I could remain upright and made up the time on the rest of the course.  I came in with a garmin time of 10:02 average but the course was short.  I didn’t look up my time on the race website….I’m sure that it was in the neighborhood.  I’m glad that we were on course just to help and be an extra set of eyes in case any one would have gone down.

After that race, hubs and I went to Phipps to enjoy the last weekend of the Supernatural Exhibit and some adult beverages.  Then, it was off to Threadbare to meet up with Jen of Dashing in Style and her hubs for dinner and drinks.  We had a great time chatting and getting to know each other.  She is so sweet and her husband is really funny.  We chatted about running and her big decision to stick with training or change to running for enjoyment and dropping the marathon.  It’s a tough decision to make!

Sunday

Sunday, I’m thankful that Tonya and I made plans to run our long run together since we both had the same mileage.  I showed up in a winter half zip and a hat!  I was really overdressed but it just felt so cold standing still outside.  Surprisingly, I didn’t get overheated.  We ended up cutting it a mile short but I was surprised that I braved the rain and we had a really great pace!  Tonya was running a minute faster per mile today than her average pace at this time last year.  I am just so proud of her for the work that she has put in to her training this cycle.

One week left until the EQT 10 miler.  This is one of my all time favorite races.  It is a beautiful course in downtown Pittsburgh.  The fall scenes make for a great backdrop and the weather is usually perfect.  I have run this race every year since it has started.  I hope to keep that steak up.  This year, I’ll be pacing it again.  I’ve moved up another 30 seconds to the 10:00 spot.  I wonder how many more years I’ll be able to keep that streak up for?

New Goals

As for me, I will start training this week for the Christmas Story 10k race in early December.  My goal will be to break 50 minutes which would be at least a 3 minute PR for me.  I know that in order to make that happen, I will need to focus on tempo runs and pick up just a little bit of speed.  I can comfortably run a 5k at an 8 minute pace but I haven’t tried to run any further at that pace recently.  I also intend to ramp up my core strength training for this mini cycle as well.

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and Tricia and HoHo for the Weekly Wrap

What do you like to do in the running off season?

October 29, 2017 at 9:40 pm

I wish we had more 10-milers in my area. I know of only one (mid September…so, obviously it was not happening for me this year). Good luck!!

October 30, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Love 10 milers! That is the best distance!

October 29, 2017 at 10:39 pm

Summer was my running off season – I look forward to some winter running!

October 30, 2017 at 8:10 pm

haha I feel like I should start taking summers off from running. I hate the humidity!

Sherry
    October 30, 2017 at 12:28 am

It must have been tough pacing a course that you hadn’t ran or seen before. Great job! Also, way to brave the rain on Sunday! In the running off season, I usually do more cross training.

October 30, 2017 at 8:11 pm

It was not my best pacing day….but I came in pretty close to being on time. Thanks!

Shathiso
    October 30, 2017 at 5:01 am

I love reading about bloggers meeting up for the first time in the “real” world! That’s brilliant as I follow both your blogs! Out of curiosity, how does pacing a race work? Have never heard of that where I am from (Botswana) but it sounds like a brilliant concept!

October 30, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Yes! It’s so much fun meeting up with fellow bloggers in real life!
      Usually for pacers, there is a specific time goal and we will run an even pace throughout to help people pace themselves and have a better chance of meeting a specific goal. It’s a lot of fun pacing and I’ve had really good experiences running with pacers to help achieve my own goals.

Angela @ happy Fit mama
    October 30, 2017 at 5:30 am

What a fun week! I love the chance to hang out with new and old running friends even if we aren’t running. That’s awesome that you are a pacer. I’ve never done that but it sounds so rewarding.

October 30, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Yes! so much fun (and sometimes more fun) when we’re not running. Pacing is awesome… I love the races where you get to hear the successes at the finish line. That is the best!

October 30, 2017 at 10:47 am

Sounds like fun and I’m glad you got to hang out with Jen! On the off season, I like to just run with no plans or goals. It’s nice to go back to where I started.

October 30, 2017 at 8:14 pm

That sounds like a great off season plan! I wish I could do that but I’m pretty sure that I would just end up not running at all.

October 30, 2017 at 12:48 pm

I seem to have two off seasons, and winter is one of them. After my 10k in a couple weeks, I’m going to take some time off and enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday. When I get back at it, I’ll continue to work on my speedwork and strength training over the winter, and see what I want to do in the spring.

October 30, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Winter off seasons are the best! That is always my off season before spring training starts. Sounds like you have a great plan set up

Jessie
    October 30, 2017 at 1:40 pm

What a fun week! The 10 mile distance is one of my favorites…the 10k is great too, and I like your plan of focusing on tempos to get a new PR there. Good luck!

October 30, 2017 at 8:16 pm

10 milers are my favorite distance too! I don’t usually race 10k’s but I think this will be a good one to race. Thanks!

October 30, 2017 at 2:54 pm

How cool to hang out with Jennifer and her husband! My off season is usually in the summer (or at least part of it) and I fill the void with a lot of water skiing and some cycling too. We don’t have many 10 milers around but there is one in a couple of weeks. But, I haven’t decided if I’m running it or a half marathon on the same day. Decisions! Thanks for linking.

October 30, 2017 at 8:17 pm

You had a great off season this year!! Filled with lots of water skiing and cycling.
      It was so much fun meeting up with Jen and I have this link up to thank for the first introduction. Thanks for setting up this community!

October 30, 2017 at 3:41 pm

I have met some many great people in person through connecting with them on the blog. So fun!

October 30, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Yes! I think it’s the best part of being in this community!

October 30, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I was bundled up about like you for my Saturday run!! I can’t wait to read about your 10k training progress!

October 30, 2017 at 8:18 pm

I feel like we just went straight to winter….I hope fall comes back! lol

October 30, 2017 at 11:57 pm

I usually do more strength training in a running off season…but I really need to focus more on mobility and prehab, because I know I have some imbalances that are not being improved by my usual strategy of ignoring them.

November 3, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Yes…..I need to figure out a good strength training routine. I’ve thought about doing a beach body program that I have on my shelf but I don’t know. If you find something good, let me know!

October 31, 2017 at 6:10 am

I’ll see you at EQT! I haven’t done a 10k since last May and it is my favorite distance.

November 3, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Yay!! See you Sunday!

November 1, 2017 at 6:14 am

I thought of you & Tonya out there Sunday. Great job–it was nasty! Moving to a faster pacer spot in the 10-miler is a nice measure of progress! Again, so awesome to finally meet you & hang out!

November 3, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Thanks lady! Saturday night was so much fun!

Tricia@MissSippiPiddlin.com
    November 3, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Great week for you and I bet you are going to kill your 10k! I love a Christmas themed race, will you dress up?

November 3, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Thanks! After the way this week played out, I will have a little catch up work to do to get back on track but we’ll see!
      We haven’t dressed up before but just about everyone dresses up as some character from the movie. It’s seriously one of the best race environments!