Urban Bourbon HM Training Week 11

What I learned?  You can’t control everything on race day.  I had two athletes running today in Columbus and Detroit.  How I only wished that they had better race day conditions so that they could really see all of their hard work come to fruition.  These races could be especially trying because the pace that should feel comfortably hard feels out of reach.  It’s really important to re-evaluate goals before starting races like this so you can adjust your paces and expectations.  Going in a little conservative will help prevent you from crashing and burning mid race.  So a huge congrats to everyone that raced this weekend in tough conditions!

If you missed my guest post from Thursday, I had a friend on the blog to share with us how essential oils can be used for performance and recovery.  Jump over and enter the giveaway! It’s one of my fav products – an On Guard Touch Roller!

Monday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual:  45 minutes cycling & Nike+ Quick HIT Abs

Mondays are usually a rest day for me so I can recover from the weekend.  My legs felt really good today.  I felt so much better (finally, right?) and I got out of work on time.  It was the perfect trifecta so I decided to take advantage and sneak in an extra workout.

Tuesday:

Planned: Track Workout »  Actual:  Rest Day

Three days in a row means I rest today.  This was good because I had coaching duties for our local track Tuesday.  They were doing 200m hill repeats and kicking butt even with the humidity.

Wednesday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: 25 minute Tempo Run

I decided to go to the gym to tackle my tempo run on the treadmill.  I wanted to be able to set the pace and then focus on my form and breathing.  I could not have asked for a better run!  This was just the confidence boost that I needed.

Thursday:

Planned: Tempo Work »  Actual:  3 Race Pace Miles

I planned to go out for 3 easy miles today but ran into a friend at the park.  The easy miles accidentally turned in to race pace miles.  It felt pretty good while I was out there but my calves were so tight after!  Nothing a good rolling session can’t cure

Friday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual:  Rest Day

A nice rest day to break up my runs.  I’m spending the night prepping a new training plan for a client and working on a couple new blog posts.  I also found out that I was selected as a race ambassador for the Glass City Marathon.  Eeks!  I’m so excited.  Will I see any familiar faces out there?

I ran this race back in 2016 as my spring goal race. My plan was to run a sub 2 hour half marathon. Although I didn’t break 2 hours, this is still my current PR (2:08:49). It’s a beautiful course and the finish line party is awesome

Saturday:

Planned: Long Run »  Actual: 8 miles

This morning hubs and I met up with Crystal for a run.  We’re tapering and she is building up for the EQT.  It just so happened that we had the same mileage and pace assigned for today.  This run was perfect!  I felt great at the end and easily could have kept on going.  It’s always much more fun to run with people and chat.  It makes the miles pass much quicker.

Sunday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: Lemieux 6.6 Race

This morning we went to pace the Lemieux race.  So.Many.People.  It was a great time and we ran in to so many friends while we were there.  They had a little Stanley cup out for pictures which was really fun.  The course is a very unique distance (just a little over 4 miles) and we are always greeted at the finish line by none other than Mario Lemieux.  He stands out there to high five everyone coming in which is really sweet.

My legs felt pretty good today!  Just one week left until my goal half marathon.  I think that the weather is expected to still be warm next weekend.  I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the forecast is favorable.

Breakfast:  Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies

Lunch:  Spicy Peanut Tempeh Bowls

Dinner: Ahh, fall recipes how I love you.  I spotted Brussel sprouts in the stores already which makes me really happy!  Chicken skillet with sweet potatoes, apples and Brussel sprouts

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap

October 15, 2017 at 6:17 pm

It always surprising to me how much a just a small increase in temperature and humidity can effect my race performance. Congrats on the race ambassadorship and good luck with your upcoming goal race! Fingers crossed for the perfect weather conditions. Thanks for linking!

October 15, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Agreed! I’m not much of a heat or humidity person. Spring and Fall running are really my two favorite seasons. Thanks!

October 15, 2017 at 6:39 pm

ok so I am embarrassed to say I don’t know where glass city is?! As a coach I am sure that it is really frustrating when your clients do not hit their marks when you know they can. Something my trainer and I have discussed. The humidity really impacted me so much this past summer I was so frustrated.

October 15, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Don’t be! I should have mentioned that. It’s Toledo Ohio.
      Yes, it’s hard because you train for weeks and weeks but usually with just one or two goal races, sometimes you can’t control the outcomes. Regardless, I am super proud of them but I understand how frustrating it can be.

Isabel
    October 15, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Oh wow only a week left Good luck with the half, I can’t wait to read all about it. It looks like you had a great week of training, congrats 🙂

October 15, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Thanks so much!

October 15, 2017 at 6:55 pm

You had a great week! Congrats on being selected as an ambassador for Glass City. Best of luck with your upcoming race!

October 15, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Thank you!!

October 15, 2017 at 7:00 pm

That’s cool that Lemieux was out there! I’ve been a hockey fan since I was 5, and I remember him playing.

October 15, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Yes, that’s my favorite part of the race! It was nice this year and last because they had the read deal Stanley cup as well. Last year, the pace team was lucky enough to snatch a pic with it!

October 15, 2017 at 7:42 pm

This was a tough week for a lot of people, weather-wise. The conditions have been really wacky.

Congrats on being selected to be a race ambassador!

October 16, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Yes! Can it just be fall and stay fall? lol
      Thanks!

October 15, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Congrats on getting chosen to be a Glass City Marathon Ambassador. Cute picture of you ladies!

October 16, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Thank you!

October 15, 2017 at 11:09 pm

Congrats on the ambassadorship! There have been a lot of big races with terrible weather conditions lately…I’m near Des Moines, and although I didn’t run the 13.1 or 26.2 this year, the weather was cold and windy (and humid from all of yesterday’s rain). UGH.

October 16, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Yes, it seems as though this has been a tough year for racing weather all the way around. Hopefully the races this weekend and next week get some decent weather.

October 16, 2017 at 5:48 am

Sounds like a really solid week! Doing long runs with someone is so much more fun. I lost my running buddy who was around my pace. 🙁

Good luck at your race this week! I hope the weather cooperates. I’m really bad at adjusting for weather.

October 16, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Agreed! It is always better running with other people. Sorry to hear you lost your pace buddy!
      Thanks! Me too 🙂

October 16, 2017 at 7:47 pm

In addition to the Lemieux race on Sunday, there was also a Halloween costume race on the South Side. We ran on the courses of both races before they started, so we were able to successfully avoid being trampled! I’ve always though the Lemieux race would be cool if you’re a hockey fan (I’m not) with Mario giving everyone high fives! Great week–didn’t realize your race was this weekend! It seems like it’s cooling down this week. Fingers crossed that continues this weekend!

October 17, 2017 at 8:36 pm

That’s awesome! A couple of years ago, Hubs and I went for a run at twin lakes and they just so happened to have a pet costume walk. It was the cutest thing!
      Thanks! I’m hoping for cool weather this weekend but I don’t know if I’ll get that wish.

Stephanie
    October 16, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Congrats on a great week of training! Good Luck at your race!!

October 17, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Thanks so much!

Crystal Brenneman
    October 17, 2017 at 10:38 am

YAYYYY!!! Such a good run on Saturday and perfect execution of pacing on Sunday. I can’t wait for Urban Bourbon for you!!

October 17, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Thanks girl! I’m so glad we’ve been training together lately. Now I just need to work on getting speedier! lol

Tricia@MissSippiPiddlin.com
    October 17, 2017 at 4:09 pm

That is exactly right we can do everything in training but it is pretty much a controlled environment. We have the choice to run in the rain or in the gym, switch up days or evenings. On race day you get what you get! Congratulations on the new ambassadorship! Thanks Sara for linking up with us!

October 17, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Yes! You explained that perfectly.

Shathiso
    October 18, 2017 at 4:42 am

What an active week of training! Well done and congrats on getting selected as a race ambassador!

NeCole
    October 18, 2017 at 8:22 pm

I loved hearing about your Mario Lemieux Race! And that baby Stanley Cup is so cool! 🙂 Did you get to give Mario a high five?