Hello and thank you for tuning in to this week’s post on Sara Runs This Town! I’m honored to guest-write for Sara this week on the benefits of essential oils for runners!
My name is Cindy – I’m a former competitive swimmer, triathlete, yogi, hiker, gardener, suburban chicken keeper, wife, and very soon-to-be mama! Sara and I have been good friends for more than ten years and always enjoyed chatting about our health and training trajectories. Within the past year though, we found another intersection– essential oils. I run a site called www.essentialstoflourishbycindy.com and teach classes on how to use essential oils, so Sara asked me to write for you all on how essential oils can assist runners with training and recovery.
What Are Essential Oils?
“Essential oils” seem to be all the craze these days, but they are actually quite an old means of healing and self-care with references in the Bible and records back to the Bronze Age (10K before the present). Essential oils come from naturally occurring oils from parts of plants – seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and rinds. This raw material is usually steam-distilled but sometimes cold compressed. The result is a highly concentrated oil. To give you an example, just one drop of peppermint essential oil is equivalent to 26-28 bags of peppermint tea! So, when using a high quality essential oil, a little really does go a long way!
I’m a Runner! What Essential Oils Should I Use?
There are a multitude of essential oils that may support runners depending on specific issues, but the following are my most popular ones among athletes to support performance and recovery:
- Deep Blue Rub – this lotion is like a natural icy hot and has the ability to sore soothe muscles. With both relaxing and rejuvenating essential oils like wintergreen, camphor, eucalyptus, and Blue Tansy, this blend provides a cooling sensation and will get you on your way to recovery. As a bonus, it leaves your skin soft and not greasy! For more info, check out my blog post on Deep Blue.
- OnGuard – this is an essential oil blend that should be in every home. Through very antimicrobial and antiviral essential oils (like cinnamon, clove, and wild orange), this 100% natural essential oil blend supports the immune system. Ever get into the taper phase and immediately start to feel like you need immune support? You can use this blend diluted on the bottom of your feet, in a diffuser, or in capsule form to keep at the top of your game.
- Breathe – winter is approaching which means…those days of running outside when you feel like you are inhaling ice crystals and it burns! Try a drop or two of this blend on your chest to keep your airways open. Stuffed up at night? I diffuse this every night with lavender to keep my nasal passages clear while relaxing (it also keeps snoring members of the family a little quieter!).
- Peppermint – Ever need a little extra motivation to get out there? Try whiffing this oil or putting 1-2 drops in your water for a natural pick-me-up. Sara also likes putting this on her wrists and smells it during races to help maintain focus forget the discomfort.
- TeaTree – Every athlete needs this oil. It’s the get the funk out, anti-microbial, anti-fungal solution you have been looking for. You can use this essential oil to freshen up your shoes and get the funk out of your towels. Perhaps more importantly though, it can be used to support you when Athlete’s Foot appears or even…jock itch (yes, I went there).
- Lavender – Sometimes when I’ve been training intensely, as tired as I should be, I have a hard time settling down in the evening. Lavender essential oil is great to calm the body and mind. Try using a few drops in a diffuser or applying the oil to the bottom of your feet.
I’m Intrigued…How Do the Essential Oils Work?
This could be a whole post unto itself! Please see How to Use Essential Oils on my site for more information.
How Do I Choose A Good Brand?
Not all brands are created equal in essential oils, and adulterated oils is a big problem in the industry. Oils can be adulterated through: 1) adding synthetic compounds; 2) adding other (cheaper) essential oils to what you are buying (which could produce odd effects for you); or 3) diluting the oil. This doesn’t even touch questions of potency which is a question of sourcing essential oils from where the plants thrive naturally.
Personally, I support doTerra premium essential oils because of their commitment to purity, potency, and sourcing ethics. On the bottom of every bottle, there is a code where you can access unbiased, 3rd party testing of each oil to verify the purity through www.sourcetoyou.com. (The FDA doesn’t currently regulate essential oils so companies can make unverified claims on the side of their bottles. It’s important to ensure that you are going with an option that has a way to verify its purity to the customer – you!)
How Can I Get Some of the Products You Mentioned?
All of these products above are available separately, but the Athlete’s Kit containing all of the above comes in an awesome bag and will save you $25 at wholesale cost. If you chose to purchase, please go through www.mydoterra.com/essentialstoflourish to support my small business!
I am committed to ensuring that my customers get the best pricing though, so reach out to my beforehand and I can help you out – email@example.com.
I have questions and want to learn more from you!
I enjoy helping people understand how they can benefit from essential oils – please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d be happy to set up a free consultation to discuss these oils for athletes as well as essential oils for other areas of life. I also have oodles of information on my webpage if you want to scroll around before chatting, www.essentialstoflourishbycindy.com.
*Note: Statements in this post have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Information on this webpage is not intended to identify, treat, or prevent any medical conditions. Please consult your physician for specific medical advice.