Great Race 5k & UBHM Training Week 6

Hello and welcome to the last week of the summer guest hosting series for the Weekly Wrap.  I would like to thank Hoho and Tricia for creating this community of amazing, active, women and for allowing us to be a part of it while you are celebrating your 2 year anniversary of the weekly wrap.  If you are new to the weekly wrap, it is encouraged to visit other blogs and leave comments to help build up the community.   Don’t just leave a post and run 🙂

What I learned?  You don’t have to be perfect, you just have to start.  It’s been a whirlwind for me juggling my job, my training, and the launch of my coaching business.  My workouts haven’t always been perfect but I do make it a point to prioritize my key workouts of the week.  This is really the secret to succeeding in anything that you put your mind to.  Consistency with your small daily habits compounded over time will eventually lead you to success.  It may not come on your time table but it will eventually arrive.  I’m still shocked at the progress I have been able to make with my running over the last 6 weeks.  Maybe some of my success is my busy schedule…I’ve been too busy to over think my own training.  So for the last two weeks, I’m going to keep my head down and work hard.  I’m still nervous about the race but hopeful that this work will pay off.  Even if it doesn’t pay off on race day, I’m a better and stronger athlete today than I was when I started this cycle.

Monday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual: 5k

The long weekend was so nice.  Even if it never really seems like a break because you have so much on your to do list.  This morning, we went downtown to pace the Steelers 5k run.  They hold this race annually on Labor Day to kick off the start of football season.  In addition, this weekend is rib fest at Heinz field.  Yesterday, we went to rib fest after the Pirates game.  I got the brisket mac which was pretty tasty and hubs got the ribs.

The year, they had over 2,000 runners for this race.  We start on the back side of Heinz field, running past PNC park and down to the Pittsburgh Marathon office.  We hit the turn around on River Avenue and made our way back to Heinz field running down the sideline on the field to the finish line.  It’s always a great race atmosphere.  Sadly, this year it seems as though the turnaround was too far down the road according to the posted race map.  Our Garmin’s registered a considerably long race (not just missing the tangents).  This put the pace team off track even though we were pacing according to race distance.

The highlight of the day for me was having one of my athletes (@MrsTonya412) out there this morning to race.  She has been on point with all of her workouts.  I encouraged her to run with the 9:00 pacers.  I was so happy to see her afterwards and hear that she stuck with the pacers the whole race for a shiny new PR!  This wasn’t even part of the original game plan.  She is still training for her ultimate goal which is a half marathon in October.  At this point, I see nothing holding her back from a couple more PR’s this season.

After the run, we decided to go back downtown to walk around and enjoy the sunshine while we can.  We stopped at the Milkshake Factory for a little treat.  I feel like I have totally mastered the cheat day this weekend.  It’s time to get back on the healthy eating band wagon tomorrow!

Spoiler alert – we celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary on Friday. Sometimes we don’t wear running clothes!

Tuesday:

Planned: Track Workout »  Actual:  Track Workout

Tonight, I decided to take advantage of the fact that we had time to get our track workout done for the week.  2×800 + 4×400 meter repeats.  Goal: 3:23, 1:42

Actual: 3:23, 3:21, 1:36, 1:36, 1:38, 1:36

It was another tough day at the track.  It didn’t feel like I was running that fast.  I’m not feeling as confident about this goal as I am about my upcoming half.  But, I’ll keep reminding myself that this is the first time that I have actually done 5k specific training…I’m pretty sure that even if I miss my goal, I’ll still end up with a PR.

Wednesday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual:  Bike Ride 75 minutes

My car is still in the shop because they didn’t have time to drive it far enough after the repairs to complete the emissions testing.  Since that threw a wrench in to my plans, I decided to rent a bike and ride the river trails after work.

After my ride, I met Hubs and we went to Southern Tier before coming home from the city.  My waistline is really excited that we don’t car pool more often!

Thursday:

Planned: Tempo Work »  Actual: Rest Day

This turned in to a rest day so that we could go pick my car up after work.  And, we are doing our long run tomorrow so I wanted to make sure that my legs were rested.

We went to Wiggle Whiskey’s Barrel House for a fundraiser to support the Pumped to Run Organization.  They also had The Coop food truck on site which is another local tasty treat!  The chicken and waffles are always on point.

Friday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual:  Long Run

I cannot believe that today marks my 10 year wedding anniversary with Hubs!  We have been together for over 14 years.  Looking back, it feels as if time has passed by in the blink of an eye.  I’m so thankful that I have a wonderful and support husband.  Here’s to many more years of adventures!  Thanks for always jumping in right beside me.

We started the day off with a 10 mile run (at a 10:00 pace) at North Park.  Any time that we run in North Park, it takes me right back to when we first started running and we did all of our training runs around the lake.  After that, we went to the Pittsburgh zoo and stopped for lunch at a new place called Honey Grow.  The food was so good!  They have made to order salads and stir-fry’s with locally sourced (when possible) veggies.  It’s on my way home from work and I think that I will be stopping there frequently in the future.

After that, we went home to get ready for dinner.  We had reservations at Eddie Merlot’s downtown.  My favorite dish of the night was the appetizer – beef carpaccio.  The beef was amazing but the homemade chips took it over the edge.

The carpaccio from Eddie Merlot’s

Saturday:

Planned: Long Run »  Actual: Rest Day

The goal today was to sleep in but I work up at 6am anyway.  I guess that is sleeping in?  We took the morning to just relax.  Then I met up with a few fellow Pittsburgh runners for brunch at Spirit in Lawrenceville.  It’s a really fun place and the food was so good!  They have a hot bar, cold bar, and three rotating pizzas (vegan, meat, cheese).  And, mimosas made with fresh squeezed juice.  I got the grapefruit mimosa and it was delicious!

One of the ladies at brunch today was Steff of RunSteffRun who I just adore.  She is unapologetically herself in the best way.  It is really inspiring to be around other energetic and strong women.  The Pittsburgh running community is truly amazing.  It is an honor to get to know these ladies.

After that, hubs and I went out to run errands.  I never did make it back to the gym but that’s ok.

Sunday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: Cross Training

The theme this week seemed to be food.  Even though I said that I was getting back on track with nutrition last week, I didn’t hit the mark this week.  So, I’m starting over today.  I need to focus on properly fueling my body and preparing for my race.  Even though it is a 5k, I think that nutrition leading up to race day is a really important factor.

After church, I went to the gym for my usual cross training routine.  50 minutes on the elliptical and my strength training circuit.  Then lunch again at Honey Grow.  Yes – it is that good!

This is my last week of hard workouts before I start my “easy” week leading up to race day.  I’ll spend the rest of the day prepping for the upcoming week.

It’s been so busy lately…everything that is on the menu for this week is quick to prepare and you can eat it on the go!

Breakfast: Breakfast cookies!  They are vegan too

Snack: greek yogurt cup, carrots and energy bites

Lunch: Pumped up PB&J and an apple (In case you missed this from last week, I swap out regular bread for Ezekiel bread and add hemp hearts and chia seeds to the sandwich to pump up the protein and fiber).

Dinner: Savory Chicken Casserole from He and She Eat Clean.  This. Is. Amazing.  If you haven’t tried it yet, you need to make it!

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap.

The link is set to go live on Sunday, September 10th at 4:45pm Central Time.

Thanks for linking up this week!

What’s your best tip to stay sane in the last week or two before a big race?

September 10, 2017 at 2:42 pm

It’s interesting reading about your 5K training. It’s been years (literally!) since I’ve had to train for a 5K…and it’s a bit weird. Coming back from surgery (and almost a 3-month sabbatical), my circumstances are different from anything I’ve ever known as a runner. My 5K is in three weeks….this ought to be an interesting “self-discovery” kind of thing!

September 10, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Training for a 5k has been quite the experience because I don’t really enjoy that discomfort feeling at the level you need to experience it for a good 5k. I’ll take my 10 milers any day over the I might throw up all out race lol.

You will have an amazing come back 5k! You’ve been so strong throughout your whole recovery. I bet you can’t wait to really get back in to it!

September 10, 2017 at 2:46 pm

You had a great week of training! Love your meal prep recipes. They always give me ideas on what to cook for the week. Honey Grow looks delicious! I hope they decide to expand into CT.

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby! 🙂

September 10, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Thanks! I need to work on better meal planning that what I’ve been doing but time has been a factor lately…Once things get more settled, I’ll be able to do better with it.

Lisa @ Mile by Mile
    September 10, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Great job with your training this week! I think staying busy is good as it prevents overanalyzing everything about each training run. And awesome job with all the meal prep!

September 10, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Agreed….not over-analyzing makes things so much easier! Thanks!

September 10, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Great week of training! Happy Anniversary – I love that you two went for a run together to kick off your day 🙂

September 10, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Thanks! It just seemed like the right way to start the day!

September 10, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Happy Anniversary! Running 10 miles at 10:00 pace is the perfect way to celebrate! I’ve never trained for a 5k, always using them as speed work for longer distances. Although I have a love/hate (make that hate/hate) relationship with them (they hurt!), It would be slightly interesting to see what I could do if I trained. Congrats to your client! Thank you so much for hosting this week! It can be a lot of reading some weeks but I hope you’ll make new connections.

September 10, 2017 at 7:51 pm

haha same! I have a hate/hate relationship with racing 5k’s. It’s weird that this is the first one that I have ever trained for. I may actually train to race one more 5k in the spring with the hopes of placing in my age group. We’ll see how this one goes first!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to host! I’m looking forward to reading some of the blogs that I haven’t seen yet!

September 10, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Happy anniversary!! I’m so glad you have him to support you. 🙂 Husbands are the best! My hubs and I have been together for about 11 years. Our two year wedding anniversary will be in April!

September 10, 2017 at 8:44 pm

That’s awesome! Is your hubs in to running as well? There are many days when I think I may not be able to get the runs done without him to make sure of it lol. Thanks!

September 10, 2017 at 8:15 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever trained for a 5k! But for my last couple of marathons, I had 3 mile repeats on the plan. That was interesting–hard to get my head around. I did really well on those. I’d love to bring that speed to a 5k.

Happy anniversary!

September 10, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I think that it’s funny that the general consensus is that no one really trains for a 5k!
      Thanks!

Katie Shepherd
    September 10, 2017 at 8:16 pm

I actually train for a St. Jude 5k every summer for the last 3 years. It’s super hot so I really have to put in the work. I ran a course record this year and scored first in my AG! Happy 10 year anniversary! Those chips look yummy!

September 10, 2017 at 8:29 pm

That’s awesome! What kind of plan do you follow?
      Thanks! 🙂

Clarinda S Dodson
    September 10, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Wow! You had a busy week. Congrats on your 10-year wedding anniversary. 🙂

September 10, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Thanks! I usually don’t have weeks this busy…thankfully!

September 10, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Happy anniversary! Since my husband doesn’t run we’re planning that century for our anniversary. If we can survive 29 years together, we can make it 100 miles together? All those restaurants look great! I don’t eat out much during the week, but it’s a main focus of our weekends!

September 10, 2017 at 8:47 pm

That’s awesome! You can totally make it 100 miles together!
      I think that I am not going to go out to eat for a few weeks after this….I’m not used to eating that much food!

September 10, 2017 at 8:58 pm

First off, I loved that we finally met! We will have to do it again! Second, happy anniversary! Great track workout too!!

September 11, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Yes! We will need to do that again! Thanks!

September 10, 2017 at 10:08 pm

I like training for 10k’s because I don’t have to get up early too many times. There are times when I get to 5 and 6 miles, and then if I have a busy day planned. I don’t like setting my alarm on the weekends, but will if I have to.

September 11, 2017 at 8:15 pm

haha yes! Sleep is really important. I’m excited that I didn’t sign up for any marathons this year so that I don’t have to be out running at 4am on the weekends.

Teresa
    September 10, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Happy Anniversary to you and the hubby! Like you, I always love it when the hubs and I can get a long run in together because that is how we started our relationship.

Congrats on hitting those track paces! Impressive! Good luck with the half and thanks for hosting Sara!

September 11, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Aww, that’s awesome! It’s great always having a running buddy! Thanks!

Sherry
    September 11, 2017 at 1:09 am

Sounds like a good week! Happy Anniversary! So cool that you guys run together! That noodle bowl looks good!

September 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Thanks so much!

angela @ happy fit mama
    September 11, 2017 at 5:07 am

Happy Anniversary! Isn’t it crazy how on your wedding day thinking of 5, 10, 15, etc years down the road seems like it’s so far off. It goes fast! We celebrated 15 in May. Great job on hitting your paces at the track!

September 11, 2017 at 8:17 pm

It is crazy….and then it all goes by in the blink of an eye! Congrats to you on 15 years! That’s awesome 🙂
      Thanks!

Zenaida Arroyo
    September 11, 2017 at 6:32 am

Congrats to your and your husband! I love your meal preps because it gives me ideas on what I can make for me as well.

September 11, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Thanks! I’m glad that the meal prep ideas help you!

Marcia
    September 11, 2017 at 7:35 am

You had a busy and fun week! Happy Anniversary! It does all fly by in a flash, doesn’t it? I think your client who ran that 5k PR is going to rock her half!

September 11, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Aww, thank you! Me too! I’m so excited for her!

Janelle @ Run With No Regrets
    September 11, 2017 at 9:06 am

Happy 10 year anniversary! You had a really fun week. Can I say the Milkshake Factory sounds amazing?? Lol! The 5K race through the stadium sounds a lot of fun too!

Oh and Honeygrow is amazing, we have a ton of them here in Philly and a new one opened near work, which now I’m craving to go to! I’ll have to try that casserole too!

September 11, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Thanks! The Milkshake factory was soo good. I also had a pic from that but I couldn’t get it to upload for some reason lol. Ahh yes! Honeygrow started in Philly. It is my new favorite place!

Let me know if you try the casserole – it’s one of my favs!

courtney @ eat pray run dc
    September 11, 2017 at 9:17 am

happy anniversary. i’m really hungry reading your post now, lol! have a great week lady – i think you are going to do really well at your 5k.

September 11, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Thanks! So much food this week, right?
      I kind of just want to get the 5k over with at this point….I don’t want to start over thinking it!

Chaitali
    September 11, 2017 at 9:51 am

Happy anniversary! Sounds like a great week 🙂 Honeygrow sounds amazing, I’m going to see if there are any near here 🙂

September 11, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Thanks! I hope they have a location near you – it’s so tasty!

Kathryn @ Dancing to Running
    September 11, 2017 at 10:12 am

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband! My mouth is watering looking at that picture of your appetizer. So delicious!

September 11, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Thank you! 🙂

September 11, 2017 at 1:37 pm

OMG, I think I just gained 5 lbs reading your post. 🙂 I know I’d gain more than that if I ate out like that! There are times I wish I could turn back the clock, for most of us it gets harder as you get older.

It’s always disappointing when a race is too long or too short, but having a runner PR has got to be very satisfying!

September 11, 2017 at 8:24 pm

haha I’m glad that I don’t eat like this every week! It was too much.
      Hearing about her PR was awesome…I was so glad that she still got it with the course snafu

vicki
    September 11, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Oh… all that food, I’m hungry now 🙂 I like the idea of the pumped up PB&J… always ate them for lunch growing up (like every single day), but haven’t had too many since. Great week of workouts too!

September 11, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Thanks! lol I feel like this turned in to a food blog this week

September 11, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Cool that you are the guest host this week! I live right around the corner from the Wigle Whiskey Barrel House…unfortunately, I despise whiskey. But, they’re opening a cider house down the road this fall!

September 11, 2017 at 8:26 pm

I can’t do whisky straight but their mixed drinks are pretty tasty! Wiggle is opening the cider house?? That is really exciting!

Amy Lauren
    September 11, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I think it’s really awesome you paced a 5K. More 5Ks need pacers! I guess it’s a hard race to pace though because if you’re off by just a few seconds you can really impact the finish time. I like that the Steelers have a race too, seems like a great way to get people active before football season and to help others who might not otherwise run or walk get out there and get inspired. Besides that, looks like you had a great week of training! The noodle dish you ate looks so tasty as well :).

September 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm

We are spoiled in PGH as a lot of our 5k’s have pacers. It’s the distance that I pace most often so I feel pretty comfortable with it but you are right – it requires some precision!
      Thanks so much – I’m glad that you linked up this week!

Jessie
    September 11, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Great week! Fun to read about training for a 5k, I love the focused workouts!

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby! 🙂

September 11, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Thanks so much! Glad that you linked up this week!

September 11, 2017 at 8:48 pm

I just started 5K training today…also the first time I’ve actually trained for one!

September 12, 2017 at 5:51 pm

That’s awesome! I can’t wait to follow along with your training!

Sharon
    September 12, 2017 at 2:10 am

Nice week! Happy 10 year anniversary!! Love that you run with your husband. Your food pictures are making me hungry and it’s late (I shouldn’t be hungry). :p

September 12, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Thanks so much! I know….all the food this week. haha I feel like I only want to eat fruit and veggies for a day to get back on track.

Lisa @ TechChick Adventures
    September 12, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Oh wow, when I saw that noodle bowl I was hoping there was a recipe following it!! It looks delicious! We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary today. Congrats on your anniversary! You look very nice in real clothes. haha!

September 12, 2017 at 5:53 pm

That’s so awesome! Congrats to you!! And thanks! My family always makes fun of me because I basically live in workout clothes. All. The. Time.

Emily Renteria @PNW Mother Runner
    September 12, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Very cool that you got to pace in the race! I’ve always been interested in doing that, but haven’t had the opportunity to yet. I am going to follow along your 5k training! Thank you for being the guest host of the Weekly Wrap!

September 12, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Thank you for linking up! Only two weeks left in the training for me this go round. This week I’m wrapping it up with my last track workout and a half marathon.

Karen Bayne
    September 13, 2017 at 11:20 am

A busy week! Happy Anniversary! and congrats to your client 🙂 A PR race is such a good feeling and to happen earlier than expected is even better.
    I do agree – overthinking things isn’t productive usually, but it starts to feel like you are getting run over when you don’t have time to think. It is sensitive balance lol
    Great job getting it done and still having lots of fun!

September 13, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Thanks! I agree…you need to have that balance. When I get fried, I end up sleeping more.

Christine
    September 15, 2017 at 8:04 am

Congrats on 10 years! 5K training feels so foreign to me at this point. I’ve never actually trained specifically for a 5K, but I did start running shorter distances, but launched into the longer ones almost right away. Maybe someday I’ll train just a for a 5K and see what happens!

September 15, 2017 at 7:17 pm

I’ve liked this training cycle even thought it’s actually been hard. Having to push yourself into the uncomfortable doesn’t come naturally for me. I do recommend trying once to do a real 5k training cycle. It has really helped my speed!