Great Race 5k & UBHM Training Week 5

What I learned?  Treadmill running is so much easier when your form is better.  I’ve been working really hard over the last 5 weeks to change my form.  And you know what, it’s actually working!  It has become easier to run faster.  Now, when I am on the treadmill I can really feel my foot striking midfoot with good hip extension.  I’m even noticing on the road I can consciously activate different muscles when I think about it.  I’m so excited that all of this hard work is paying off…now if I can just nail this race in a few weeks.

Monday:

Planned: Rest Day » Actual: Rest

I wanted to run today so I could rest on Tuesday in preparation for me speed work day but I just wasn’t feeling it.  Instead, I worked on stuff around the house.

Tuesday:

Planned: Track Workout » Actual:  6 miles + 30 minutes strength training

I decided to run right after work because I love running around the city.  I felt like I was moving in slow motion today but I had a negative split run.  I tried to push is as hard as I could on the last mile and ended up with an 8:17 pace (Overall average pace was 9:30).

Then, I stopped at the gym on my way home.  I had a great workout but, couldn’t get my car to start when I went to leave.  Hubs came to try and jump my car but it still wouldn’t work.  We had to get it towed to the shop for a new starter.  I really can’t complain though!  I haven’t had a car payment for years and have only had a few minor repairs.  The unfortunate thing is that I will be without my car until next Tuesday.

From my track workout on Thursday…When you know you are giving it your all

Wednesday:

Planned: Cross Training » Actual: Rest Day

I thought about going to do my track workout solo tonight.  When I arrived at the local high school track, there was a soccer game going on.  I didn’t feel like running with an audience so I just decided to take an extra rest day.

Thursday:

Planned: Tempo Work » Actual: Track Work

Track workout take two.  In my opinion, it was better to wait so that hubs could run with my.  Tonight we were doing sets of 400, 200 meter repeats.  Goal pace: 1:42, 50

Actual: 1:36, 50, 1:38, 47, 1:38, 48, 1:37, 49, 1:39, 43

The weather was great but this still felt a little challenging.  It just didn’t feel like I was moving that fast.  I’m getting better at running 400’s.  I can keep my pace steady and on target for the first 200 and then push it on the second 200.  When I first started, my first 100 would be the fastest split and my times would get slower with each 100 meters.  Small wins!

Friday:

Planned: Rest Day » Actual:  15 mile Bike Ride

After work today, I rented a bike to go out for a ride with Crystal (@runningawayfromadulting). We’ve been following each other on IG for a while and found out we have a lot in common.  It’s been really fun building relationships with other runners in the local community.  Phew, 15 miles on a bike!  This is my longest road bike ride to date!  It was a lot of fun but my legs were feeling it by the end of the ride.  I love working in the city because it affords me the opportunity to also be active in the city.  After my ride, I went to meet hubs.  We grabbed dinner and drinks on the North Shore before heading home.

Tomorrow, I have 12 on tap which is the longest long run I’ve done since the spring.  I signed up to pace my first half marathon so I will need to work on getting that long run comfortable!  So far, the longest race distance I have paced is 10 miles.

Saturday:

Planned: Long Run » Actual:  Long Run

I wanted to run with the 10 minute group but hubs wanted to run with the 9:30 group.  I wasn’t sure how my legs would feel today after the bike ride.  We started with the 9:30 group and I immediately thought I wouldn’t be able to keep up.  I decided to stick with that group for a mile then re-evaluate.  Once I warmed up the pace felt comfortable.  The group was really fun today and it made the miles pass quickly.  We got caught in the rain starting around mile 6 but decided to keep pushing on for a total of 10 miles.  We were having so much fun chatting and running that we lost track of the pace a bit.

Average pace- 9:08.  10 half marathon goal pace miles!  It felt much easier than I thought it would.  With just under 50 days until the half, I am feeling more confident of my sub-2 attempt.

I did cut the run short by two miles because of the pace, the rain, and the bike ride yesterday.

Then, I went to meet up with a friend for lunch at Core Life Eatery.  It was delicious!  I got the ginger steak and rice noodle bone broth bowl.  It had grass fed beef, fresh grated ginger, fresh veggies and a really tasty broth.  If you are in the area, you should try it!  My friend and I also had the chance to catch up and make some business plans together.  More to come on that!

Sunday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: Cross training

Today I was supposed to go to Oms in the Outfield at PNC park but I purchased the guest pass tickets by accident and couldn’t convince the ticketing group to switch the tickets for me.  Even though it was the same price either way…go figure.  Instead, I used the time to work on business plans and prepare for my upcoming launch.  I’ll fit in yoga on my own today.  After going 4 days straight with some hard workout days, I can use an easy recovery day today.

Since we had the pirates tickets, hubs and I are going to the game in the afternoon.  Fingers crossed the rain moves out and we get nicer weather for the game today.

Breakfast: Vegan Breakfast Cookies.  Breakfast on the go is life.  As the week wears on, it gets harder and harder for me to get up without pushing the snooze button.

Snack: Cherry chia energy bites

Lunch: Pumped up PB&J.  I’m swapping out the peanut butter for almond butter, using Ezekiel bread, and adding chia seeds/hemp seeds.  The hemp seeds and Ezekiel bread bump up the protein (another small win).  I’ll be eating this with an apple on the side.

Dinner: The cold weather hit and now I’m in the comfort food mode.  We’re going to have meatloaf, potatoes, and roasted carrots for dinner.

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap with guest host Montana

September 3, 2017 at 7:43 pm

I have plans to really work on my form after my marathon training is over. I’m trying to work on it now, but I know I will be able to devote more time to it after I finish training. I know it will make a world of difference!

That’s so awesome that you were able to meet up with a fellow runner from IG for the bike ride. One of my favorite parts of social media is developing relationships with other runners. The runner community it really the best!

September 3, 2017 at 8:12 pm

I think that it will be much better for you to wait until after the marathon to work on your form. It isn’t really advised that you work on your form during active training but it made sense for me with the addition of track workouts in this cycle. I don’t think I would have been able to hit the paces without the changes that I’ve made. The running community really is the best! I feel like I have a list of people that I need to meet in person when I get the chance to!

September 3, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I’m really curious if my form will need some work after all of this recovery is finalized. I know I will be slower for awhile (and I’m fine with that as long as I’m running). I will be so paranoid about injury!

September 3, 2017 at 8:14 pm

I don’t know…. You’ve been working on strength training a lot. Maybe your form will stay intact. Let the countdown for the return to running start! You are soo close!

Teresa
    September 3, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Wow, that 10 miler went really well! Congratulations on that …sounds like all of that track work is paying off! As a cyclist who is planning on either a 60 or 100 mile bike ride this fall …15 miles on those ‘city cruiser’ bikes is a tough workout!! I bet your legs were feeling that one!

September 3, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Thanks! My quads were feeling it after that for sure. We’re going to try to keep this up once a week until the weather gets too cold. Hopefully adding that in will help to boost my running as well.

September 3, 2017 at 8:52 pm

That Core Life bowl looks amazing – yum! Yay on going on a bike ride. I will say that riding a rental bike is much different than riding your own road bike – it’s got to be heavier and harder! I think I would need a running coach to watch me run and tell me how to fix my form – I have a hard time figuring those things out on my own!

September 3, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Yes lol! My little legs had to go twice as fast to keep up with my friend who looked so effortless but it was a really good workout! I have no regrets. I’m pretty convinced that you can’t correct your own running form. I tried to a while back and overcorrected my heel strike to a fore-foot strike which wasn’t serving me well. It’s so worth it to get a local coach to help you with form!

September 3, 2017 at 8:53 pm

The bone broth bowl looks so good! I’ll have to see if I can find something like that around here. I love reading your training updates!

September 3, 2017 at 9:08 pm

I didn’t realize it at first but it is a chain. Hopefully they will expand to your area! Thank you – that is so sweet!

September 3, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Your training is going so well! Did you bike on those rentals? or do you have your own bike? I find it so much easier to ride on my road bike.

September 3, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Thanks! I biked on a rental lol…..they are kinda clunky. But until I’m ready to commit to buying a bike they get the job done!

September 4, 2017 at 7:34 am

I am really sorry about your car — that’s always a pain. 🙁

Sounds like you’re doing great! I envy group runners. I can’t seem to find my group. Every time I think I have, something changes. It really sucks to be slow sometimes!

September 4, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Sometimes I think that it can be challenging running with a group. The group has to be committed to either keeping a steady pace or not leaving anyone behind. Our running club is great with this during our big marathon training days. They have run pacers that keep a steady overall pace for the whole run. But I’ve also been on a group run because I had to run without hubs where I’ve been left behind…and at that point, why even bother driving to run with a group?

September 4, 2017 at 11:28 am

My chiro had me work on my form when I first started seeing him with ITBS. I used the treadmill a lot to get a feel for the mid to forefoot strike, and when I got on the roads, it was exciting to see I was keeping that form off the treadmill.

September 4, 2017 at 7:11 pm

That’s awesome! I always knew that I wasn’t activating my glutes or hammies but couldn’t figure out on my own how to make the adjustments that I needed to make.

Montana @ Pretty Lil Mudder
    September 4, 2017 at 12:06 pm

I’m not a fan of treadmill running just because of the boredom factor. I’ve never really paid attention to my form while running on one though! Sorry about the car- it’s a pain, but it sounds like you have a good attitude about it!

September 4, 2017 at 7:13 pm

I’m not usually a fan of treadmill running. I max out at about 5-6 miles on a good day lol but I was at the gym and just decided to jump on for two miles that day.

September 4, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Wow! Kudos for biking 15 miles after work! That’s awesome. I’m completely useless after work…especially on a Friday…and especially on a Friday of a holiday weekend! That’s really awesome that you’re going to pace a HM!

September 4, 2017 at 7:14 pm

lol thanks! It was a lot of fun and the weather was perfect! I’m excited and nervous about the HM….I don’t know how many people will be on the course so I think I may be running on my own for pieces of it. It will be a good long run for me though!

Janelle @ Run With No Regrets
    September 4, 2017 at 9:37 pm

That’s awesome that your form changes have improved your running. I definitely need to work on activating my glutes!

Nice job on your workouts! I find track work to be really hard and I have no kind of strategy LOL!

September 6, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Thanks! Lol I’ve just been focusing on “short” repeats for the first half of this cycle in preparation for my 5k. I can switch to longer repeats after this when I’m more focused on my half marathon. I think that glutes are key to proper running form!

courtney @ eat pray run dc
    September 5, 2017 at 12:20 pm

You just ran 10 @ 9:08 conversationally? You can TOTALLY crush sub-2, lady! Way to go!!!

September 6, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Thank you Courtney! I’m feeling much more confident about my sub-2 attempt than my 23 minute 5k attempt lol.

Lisa @ TechChick Adventures
    September 6, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Congrats on a solid week of workouts! If you’re going for sub-2, I think you’ve got it in the bag!! 🙂

September 9, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Thanks so much! Fingers crossed!

Amy @ Life to the Full
    September 8, 2017 at 4:22 pm

You seem to be well on track for that sub 2-hour! Keep it up! Reading about your “pumped up PB & J” for lunch has me craving one myself 😄 YUM!

September 9, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Thanks! The PB&J is so good! And a great way to sneak in some extra protein!