Great Race 5k & UBHM Training Week 4

What I learned?  It’s really fun becoming a charity runner!  Registration for the Pittsburgh Marathon opened about 2 weeks ago and I couldn’t figure out how I wanted to celebrate since it’s the 10 year anniversary of the race.  At first, I thought that I would run the full marathon.  Of the four full marathons I’ve done so far, I have not run in Pittsburgh.  For some reason, I just couldn’t bring myself to sign up for winter marathon training this year.  However, I did decide to sign up and raise funds for the light of life ministry.  They are a local organization providing food, shelter, woman’s care and recovery programs to support the Pittsburgh homeless population.

To kick off my campaign, I’m looking for 50 friends to donate $10.  In exchange for this, once I reach 50 donors, I will raffle off two $25 gift cards (2 winners, each winner will win one $25 giftcard).  For every $5 you donate, I’ll give you 1 entry in to the raffle.  I’ll keep track of the donations on the back end.

Let’s do this together!  Click here to donate

Monday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual: Cross Training

It was really hot and humid today so I went to the gym instead of going to the track for my workout.  I did the usual, 50 minutes on the elliptical and my strength training circuit.

Tuesday:

Planned: Track Workout »  Actual:  Off

I’m taking today off so that I can rest my legs in anticipation of tomorrow’s workout!  I also found out today that my application to be a sweat pink ambassador was approved today!  I’m really excited about getting connected with this community and working with brand marketing.

Wednesday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: Track workout

After work, I went to the track for my 8 x 400 meter workout.  It was finally a cooler evening with low humidity and I was really excited for that!  After a 1 mile warm-up + a dynamic warm-up, we started in with the repeats.  My goal was 1:42 for each lap.

Actual: 1:41, 1:36, 1:40, 1:40, 1:41, 1:39, 1:40, 1:42, 1:35

On my last lap, I wanted to give it everything that I had.  I was really excited to see that split!  Mentally, I love doing 400’s.  I can commit to pushing pretty hard for 1 lap around the track.

Today, I also announced that I decided to join the Oiselle Volee team!  I love their clothing, what the company stands for, and I am so excited to meet more of the ladies on this team!

Thursday:

Planned: Tempo Work »  Actual: 4 miles Easy Effort

This ended up as a negative splits run.  Maybe not really an easy effort but not a medium effort either.  The best part about this run is that it was starting from a local brewery and there was a food truck waiting for us when we returned!  The Blue Sparrow truck was waiting with its globally inspired fare.  I got the Bahn Mi and Hubs got the Ramen Burger.  Soo good!  If it wasn’t dark in the brewery, I would had taken pics to share with you.

Friday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual: Rest Day

Tonight, I had a coffee date planned with one of my really good friends from college.  She also has her own business and we not only used the time to catch up but to talk business strategy and marketing.  It was so much fun.  I have been blessed to have such a wonderfully supportive and encouraging group of friends.  It’s so nice to have people with similar goals because they understand what you are working towards on a deeper level.

Saturday:

Planned: Long Run »  Actual: Run Around the Square 5k

My goal for today was to run the race at an 8 minute average pace.  We did our usual warm-up, got a picture with the SCRR group and then went to the start line.  The first half to ¾ of a mile was on a bumpy brick road which lead right in to the trails at Frick Park.  Mile 1 was marked with a beer and champagne stop.  We went up a small hill and then past the tennis courts.  Then, we went down the road for a short section and back to the trails.  This part was another hill for maybe a half mile.  Luckily, once you got to the top you had a beautiful downhill for about a half mile to the finish line!

This was a great race!  A lot of crowd support, bands along the street, food, beer, and Italian ice at the finish line.  If you have not run this race in the past, you need to put it on your radar for next year.

Between the hills and humidity, I fell off pace in the second mile.  Overall, I clocked in at an 8:27 pace (26:11).  I felt like I gave everything I had today, so I was happy with that time.

Sunday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: Cross Training

I woke up this morning with allergy symptoms…not sure where that came from.  I plan on doing my workout later today and it will be some combination of running, using the elliptical, and strength training.  My to do list for the day also includes meal prep, blog prep and checking in with my run coaching clients.  All of the weekend basics!

And with that, I’m half way through my training for the 5k.  I almost can’t believe it!  I’ve really enjoyed changing things up this cycle to add in some harder workouts and some speed work.  My plan is to keep this up over the winter in hopes of another spring 5k PR.

Breakfast: Protein Hemp Oatmeal.  I’m going to prep this out today and portion it into containers for the week.  Then, in the mornings, it will just be heat and eat!

Snack: 2 hard boiled eggs with an apple

Lunch: Kung Pao Chicken Meatballs with roasted zucchini and rice.  I just love these meatballs.  They are on a regular rotation for lunches.

Dinner: Salmon with Avocado Salsa

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap with guest host Teresa

What is your fall goal this year? Have you ever been a charity runner?

August 27, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Great job on your training this week!

That’s awesome that you are running for a charity of the Pittsburgh race. I’m more than willing to donate to such a worthy cause!

August 27, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Thank you and more so – thank you so much for the donation to Light of Life! I really appreciate it 🙂

August 27, 2017 at 7:42 pm

You had a great week! I’ve never been a charity runner, but I have done the Fight for Air Climb )for the American Lung Association) for the past 5 years, and we are required to raise at least $100 (or pay it ourselves) before we’re given our bib and allowed to participate. Fundraising certainly gives one an entirely different perspective 😉

August 27, 2017 at 9:19 pm

I’ve heard of that before! I give you so much credit for doing that. I always hate taking the stairs at work because anything beyond 3 flights and I’m out of breath. I always have to question how I can run half marathons but can’t climb the stairs!

August 27, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Beautiful splits in that track workout! Run Around the Square was my first race and the race that made me fall in love with being a runner. I haven’t done it since then because I think I forget about it, but I’d love to do it again some year!

August 27, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Thanks! I could see how that race would get you hooked on running! I’ll give you the heads up next year! It would be fun to see you there.

Teresa
    August 27, 2017 at 7:59 pm

What a great week Sara and congratulations on your 5k! I’ve never been a charity runner but I am thinking about being a charity rider. 🙂 There is a local gym here that is having an outdoor spin class all day to raise money for ovarian cancer. That seems to go right along with all of the cycling I’ve been doing this summer to prepare for a century ride this fall.

Thanks for linking! Have a great week!

August 27, 2017 at 9:21 pm

That’s another great idea although I could not spin all day! It would be great training for your century ride though!!
      Hope you have a wonderful week as well!

August 27, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Congrats on joining the SP community! I’ve met some really awesome bloggers that way.

My first marathon was a charity race. I wanted to race money to help me stay committed to my training. But I learned that I don’t like asking people for money. Still, it made the race more meaningful!

August 27, 2017 at 9:23 pm

That’s awesome! I’m really looking forward to getting to know more of the members. That’s funny, I was really concerned at first about the response that I would get asking people for money but so far it’s been really positive! I have been blown away by the support and generosity of my group. It’s not something I would do all the time but I thought the 10 year race anniversary was a good reason to try something different!

courtney @ eat pray run dc
    August 27, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Welcome to the Volee. Being on this team has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. You will love it! And congrats on deciding to fundraise! I did that for Chicago last year and it was an amazing experience!

August 27, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Thanks – I’m so glad to hear that! From the little bit that I’ve learned about the group this week, it makes me really excited to be on the team! Glad to hear that you had such a positive experience with your fundraising. I have to agree that so far it’s actually been really fun.

August 27, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Congrats on joining the Oiselle team! Looks like a great week of workouts for you. Those Kung Pao meatballs sound good wonder If I could make them vegetarian

August 27, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Thanks! I bet you could do baked tofu with that sauce. Really, it’s the sauce that makes the dish. It’s so tasty! Or maybe veggie fried rice? If you try something out, let me know how it goes!

Janelle @ Run With No Regrets
    August 28, 2017 at 9:04 am

Congrats on becoming a Sweatpink Ambassador and a member of the Oiselle team! How exciting! And congrats on your 5K, that looks like a really fun race and too tempting to resist all the goodies!

Running for a charity is really rewarding, the last time I did it was the for the Cherry Blossom Run in DC. I need to do it more often!

August 28, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Thanks! It is really rewarding running for a charity and bringing extra awareness to some really great causes!

August 28, 2017 at 11:01 am

Welcome to the Volee! I’m part of the Colorado chapter 🙂 I recently bought a new outfit for training this fall, and it was two Oiselle pieces I’d been looking at. Now I want to live in them,. Work is casual but not that casual. Darn.

August 28, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Thanks – that’s awesome! I just love their clothes! I’m hooked on the roga shorts 🙂
      Too bad we can’t wear workout clothes to work! lol

Sherry
    August 28, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Sounds like a good week! Congrats on becoming a Sweatpink ambassador and joining the Oiselle Volee team. I clicked on the Kung Pao Chicken Meatballs link and they look good. I’m going to have to try those. Thanks!

August 28, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Thanks! The meatballs are so good….I just keep on coming back to this recipe. You’ll have to let me know what you think when you try them!

August 28, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Hmm…I wonder if there’s a track close by I could do my speed workouts on! I’ve been doing all of mine on the treadmill and I was ready to die of boredom on Saturday. I was sooooo ready for it just to be over!

Lisa @ Mile by Mile
    August 28, 2017 at 7:41 pm

You had a great week of training, and thats awesome that you are racing for a charity! Congrats on your race!

August 28, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Thank you so much!

August 28, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Your workouts are so impressive. I’ve gotten lazy about pushing myself unless I’m in a class — which is why I do so many classes!

August 30, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Thanks! I used to be the same way…I had to go to workout classes because I couldn’t push myself in other workouts. Between my coach and hubs, they make sure that I get everything done!

August 29, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Sounds like lots of good things this week! I think you did a great job on your 5k. Well, of course I would, I’m so much slower — but still, that’s a great time. I’ve never specifically trained for a 5k, though, outside of my first couple (when I didn’t know what I was doing anyway).

I can’t even fathom training for a marathon through the winter. I don’t even like to train for halfs during the winter!

August 30, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Thank you! I agree lol….I’m a spring and fall kind of runner! But if I had to pick training in the summer or the winter, I would pick the winter for sure.

Zenaida Arroyo
    August 29, 2017 at 9:25 pm

That is awesome that you signed up to run a marathon and raise money. I’ve raised money for about 2 or 3 marathons. It isn’t easy but many people are generous.

Congrats on joining the Oiselle Team! I love their clothes too!!

August 30, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Thanks! I have been blown away with how generous people have been! I think this will be my only fundraising event though lol