Great Race 5k & Urban Bourban HM Traning: Week 3

What I learned?  It’s really hard to eat 2,000 calories of quality foods.  So. Much. To. Eat.

Counting macros is kind of hard too but I’m getting the hang of it.  I don’t plan on strictly counting macros but I wasn’t getting enough protein or calories in a day so this gives me a target to help reach my goals.  I think that I will do better with weight loss once I get enough protein on a daily basis.  I have no problem eating enough carbs.  If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for a blog to learn more, I am open to hearing how you manage your nutrition!

Monday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual:  Tempo Run

This week my tempo run was supposed to be 3 miles @ 10k pace with 1 mile warm-up and 1 mile cool down.  Instead, I did another progression run because I wasn’t sure how my legs would feel after my long run progression the day before.  This was also running day #3 in a row.  I never run three straight days in a row.  My legs felt ok on the first mile and when I saw that I had dropped my pace by 30 second on the second mile, I knew I could push it today.  Mile three was 8:22 and mile four was 7:53.  Pretty darn close to my “on paper” 10k time I should be running.

My current 10k PR pace is around an 8:30 so that is a mental block that I will have to overcome to get my 10k miles in on this training plan.  Sure, it’s going to be a struggle to run a 7:40 pace but I should be able to come close.

After my run, my legs felt good and I couldn’t resist a trip to the gym.  I went for the usual circuit and I was able to get a few 225 pound reps in on the leg press machine.  Yay for small victories!  Big victories, I guess.  That’s almost 100 pounds more than what I used to lift on the leg press.

Tuesday:

Planned: Track Workout »  Actual:  Rest Day

Last night, I could not get to sleep.  I was so excited and pumped up after my workout, I was up until 11:30 at least.  Today, my game plan is to work on the blog, stretch, roll and get to bed early!

Wednesday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: Track workout

This was a tough one!  It was only about 40% humidity but it was in the upper 80’s when we started.  Goal for today given the temps were 800, 400 sets x 3 (800 < 3:45 and 400 < 1:52).

Splits: 3:39/1:48, 3:41/1:43, 3:49/1:44

I thought I was going to throw up after the second set so I took an extra-long break before the last set.  The pace tonight felt much more in control than last week.  I’m most excited about this coming week, I get a break from the 800’s and only have 400’s on the schedule.

Thursday:

Planned: Tempo Work »  Actual: Cross Training + Strength Session

I was so exhausted from my late nights this week.  I went to the gym right after work for a 45 minute session on the elliptical and my usual strength circuit.  Afterwards, I couldn’t help but go across the street to get a salad from Panera.  This might become my weekly routine!

Friday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual: Rest Day

Doing my long run Sunday, Tempo run Monday and Track workout Wednesday left my legs hungover the rest of the week.  I needed this off day today.  I spent most of the night on the couch and (finally) went to be early.

Saturday:

Planned: Long Run »  Actual: 5k

This morning, we were able to go pace the Light of Life Ministry’s Yinzer 5k.  Such a fun race!  Everyone is encouraged to come in their best yinzer gear and the proceeds go to benefit the charity.  They were able to raise $12,000 today which was great.  I had a nice little group running with me this time and I had the chance to chat with most of them.  They all did an awesome job crushing their goals today.

I’m going to post a race recap on Thursday with more details!

I was also supposed to get an extra 5 miles in today which didn’t happen.  I went to the gym and then to the park after the rain stopped.  I wasn’t feeling the run and stopped after a half a mile.

Sunday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: rest day

Today is my niece’s baptism so I’m taking the day off.  I also need the day off to be fresh for my track workout tomorrow night.  Where does the weekend go?  I feel like we could use an extra day to squeeze everything in!

This week is devoted to my love of shopping at Trader Joes!  I’ve really been concentrating on increasing my protein intake, making sure I am getting enough quality carbs, and enough calories daily.  I  Still haven’t seen a change on the scale but I do like the way that I look better.  At this point I’m not going to tinker too much with my nutrition because I want to be sure that I am fueling enough to support my high activity levels.

Breakfast: Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage from Trader Joe’s with eggs and a slice of Ezekiel bread

Snack: Greek Yogurt with Kashi

Lunch: Tuna sammies with carrots.  I’m swapping out the mayo for guacamole hummus and I’ll be adding in some everything but the bagel seasoning.  *The guac hummus came from Whole Food’s (Hope Foods Brand).

Snack: Apple + Lenny and Larry Cookie.  I. Am. In. Love.  I could eat these cookies all day long!

Dinner: Clean eating tuna pasta salad with greek yogurt for the dressing base.

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly & Tricia for the Weekly Wrap with guest host Madhuri

What’s your best nutrition tips or high protein go to meals?

August 20, 2017 at 6:09 pm

I don’t get counting macros. Sounds like a lot of work. My focus is on eating anti-inflammatory foods. I do focus more on protein than I did in my younger years–I feel like I need it more.

August 20, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Counting macros is hard lol…..and I’m not sure how useful it is yet other than ensuring that I get enough calories for the day. I’ll have to look in to anti-inflammatory foods. That can’t be a bad thing!

August 20, 2017 at 6:15 pm

It seems like getting more protein is the theme this week. Thanks so much for the recommendations you left on my blog post. I love greek yogurt so I’ll work on eating that every day for a great protein boost. I’m going to start using MyFitnessPal but haven’t gotten to the counting macros stage just yet (but I’m sure its coming)!

Great job on your track workouts and pacing this weekend! I’m totally with you on needing another day in the weekend – it just goes by way too fast!

August 20, 2017 at 6:34 pm

My fitness pal is great. Last time I was able to lose weight it was because I logged everything in there and tracked my calories. When I come across other good ideas, I’ll let you know!

August 20, 2017 at 6:19 pm

I am obsessed with the everything bagel spices now too! I love it on avocado toast. I don’t count my macros but I am thinking about how to change up my diet in September

August 20, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Everything bagel spice is the best!! I want to put it on everything. I’ll have to keep an eye on your blog for your diet changes in September!

Zenaida Arroyo
    August 20, 2017 at 6:36 pm

I am bad with nutrition. It’s better but still not where it should be.

I don’t like greek yogurt by itself but now that I am going back to work, I make overnight oats in the evening for breakfast the next day. My favorite!

August 20, 2017 at 6:46 pm

That reminds me that I need to eat more oatmeal! lol that was my plan for last week and I only made overnight oats once. On the upside it was the first time that I found a recipe I liked enough to eat them cold!

August 20, 2017 at 6:37 pm

The macros thing kind of bewilders me, but I agree…eating all the “healthy stuff” is a struggle to get in the calories. And, I never feel full or even satisfied….it’s like my body (or mind?) craves a naughty food in order to call a meal “complete.” For me, I just try to keep things in balance…even the naughty foods are alright if they’re eaten in moderation.

August 20, 2017 at 6:45 pm

I agree with all things in moderation! I eat a piece of chocolate every day and have some extra snack on hand for when I need something crunchy or salty to eat.

courtney @ eatprayrundc
    August 20, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Funny that both you and Kim are talking about high protein this week. I do the same basic thing with eggs and chicken sausage that you mentioned. Have a great week!

August 20, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Great minds think alike, right? I think I could eat eggs every day lol!

Meranda@Fairytalesandfitness
    August 20, 2017 at 9:05 pm

The Yinzer 5k, lol. I didn’t realize until just this month the “Yinz” was a Pittsburgh thing! I saw a t-shirt yesterday that said “Steelers vs all Yinz”. And that just solidified it….lol.

August 21, 2017 at 5:09 pm

hahaha! Yup……that sounds right!

Marcia
    August 20, 2017 at 9:27 pm

The only way I’d have a clue about macros is with using My Fitness Pal to log food. I can relate to your 10k PR mental block. I went through the same thing. I felt like I was capable of an 8:15 pace but the race ran under a parking garage and threw my Garmin off. What I thought was 8:15 was a 7:44 and there was my 10k PR. It really can be SO mental!

August 21, 2017 at 5:11 pm

lol yes – running is so mental! That’s why I try to never look at my watch when I’m doing speed work or tempo’s. I can run faster when I don’t know I am.

August 20, 2017 at 10:17 pm

My go-to protein sources are: Greek yogurt, cheese, Zone Bars, eggs, tuna (love the Sweet & Spicy Starkist pouch!) and I’ll throw chickpeas in anything for a little extra protein and fiber. In fact, if you microwave half a can of chick peas, top with the tuna pouch and have string cheese on the side — you have my lunch. Off topic, I’m a big supporter of eating my colors too.

August 21, 2017 at 5:12 pm

That is great advice! I do love eating eggs and I’ll be eating a lot more tuna. I saw a recipe for chickpea tuna “salad” that sounds like your lunch. I’ll have to try that out too!

August 20, 2017 at 10:40 pm

I”ll get Greek yogurt every now and then, and then Sargento has snack packs with cheese, nuts, and dried fruit. I do have a Clif bar in the afternoon before my week day workouts, but it’s hard to increase protein when so much in carbs.

August 21, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Agreed! I’ll have to check out the Sargento snack packs!

Shathiso
    August 21, 2017 at 9:41 am

If you are not using it already, “My Fitness Pal” is a great app for counting macros (I was told by a nutritionist that it’s good to do so but I don’t quite get why either, lol). But the app is really useful, and makes things easier – shows you your calories and macros, and you can scan bar codes on different food items).

August 21, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Yes, I used to use it daily and then just got out of the habit. I was successful though when I was logging my food. I’ll have to go back and revisit that!

August 21, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Great week! I admire you for going to the gym right after running. After I run, I’m done! That’s why I do my strength training in the evenings. I love Trader Joe’s. It’s the only place I shop now. I’ve never tried to increase my protein. The times I’ve added up my protein, I realized I was eating more than I should. I feel like there’s protein in everything–things like broccoli have 2.5 grams of protein, and I just learned that even my Jack’s Hard Cider has 2 grams of protein in a can. How does hard cider have protein??? But if I wanted to increase I would probably throw black beans and quinoa into my salads!

August 22, 2017 at 5:05 pm

I felt it last week doubling up and doing a speed workout. It took me a couple days to recover! Hmmmm, that’s an interesting point…..I wonder if I am actually eating more protein than I think I am? Back to the drawing board!

Debbie @ Deb Runs
    August 21, 2017 at 9:49 pm

I’m with you on the protein. It’s so hard for me to get enough and I’d love a greater variety of quick protein snacks to grab on the run. Carb snacks are so easy to find…

August 22, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Carb snacks are soo easy! haha I could live off of carbs!

Lisa @ TechChick Adventures
    August 22, 2017 at 5:03 pm

We don’t have a Trader Joes within at least an hour of my house, so I never shop there. I do get FOMO because everyone really raves about it! As for protein, I’ve switched over to Greek yogurt, which was a big change for me. My family still isn’t into it, but I think I prefer it now. And I get to brag about how much more protein I am getting compared to my family members 🙂 (because everything in my house is a competition)
    Looks like you have a really successful week of training!

August 22, 2017 at 5:08 pm

haha I love your family! That’s sad that you don’t have a TJ’s close. Hopefully you will get one soon!

Madhuri Manohar
    August 23, 2017 at 9:52 pm

I loved reading your weekly wrap today. It was refreshing to read not just about the workouts, but also about nutrition. I’ve been monitoring mine this training season and it does make a huge difference!! Thanks for linking up! It’s been fun guest co-hosting this week.