Great Race and UBHM Training Week 2

What I learned?  I still hate the humidity.  Yup….still hate the humidity.  I don’t spend enough time running outside consistently to acclimate to the heat.  And the faster I try to run, the worse my form gets.  Ok, the pity part is over.  If you missed my post last Thursday, I talked about my fall training goals in detail can gave some of my top tips to help you with your training this cycle.

Monday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual:  Track Workout

Tonight I went to the track for 4×800 meter repeats.  All things considered, it wasn’t a bad workout.  The humidity was at 80% and I could tell by the warm-up mile that it would be a challenging night.  At times it felt like the air was so thick I had to swallow it.  I wanted to quit on half of the laps but I pressed on.  Even though I missed goal time on the 3rd repeat, I felt really strong and had a really good kick coming down the last 100 meters.  On the 4th repeat, I didn’t fully recover and struggled on the second 400 meters.  800’s are certainly not my favorite distance for speed work but hopefully by the end of training, I come to peace with them!

Goal: 3:23

Actual: 3:24, 3:24, 3:32, 3:35

Even though I missed the target, I’ll call this a win considering the weather conditions.  And I got two reps in pretty close to goal.  Last week I was in the 3:30 range for both of the 800’s I did.

From our afternoon in the city on Saturday

Tuesday:

Planned: Track Workout »  Actual:  Cross Training + Strength

After work, I went to the gym for 50 minutes on the elliptical and a quick strength training circuit.  On my lifting days, I’m trying to lift as heavy as possible (as long as I don’t have a quality running day to follow).  I think that the strength training is really paying off this training cycle.  I’m looking forward to seeing some muscle definition in my legs come race day.

Wednesday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: 2 miles walking

Today should have probably been a rest day but I decided that some active recovery was in order.  After dinner hubs and I went for a walk around the neighborhood.  When we got to the local park, I ran a few loops to really loosen up my legs and do a quick form workout.  Even after just one day, I can notice a small difference and it already seems a little bit easier to focus on my form changes.  It is still going to take a lot of work to engrain this into my training and neuromuscular memory.  I am feeling pretty confident that by the end of this cycle I will be able to maintain better form for the 5k distance.

Thursday:

Planned: Tempo Work »  Actual: 4 mile fartlek (Avg Pace 9:21) + Strength Session

I was starting to feel run down from my late nights this week.  After work, I ran around the city.  It wasn’t very humid out but the run still felt difficult and my legs were a bit heavy.  Then, I stopped at the gym on my way home for a quick circuit.

panera salad

I am in love with Panera’s salads. Especially the poppyseed chicken salad!

Friday:

Planned: Rest Day »  Actual: Rest Day

I really thought about going to the gym on the way home.  It’s almost become an addition.  After thinking about it, I decided to respect my training and take this day as a rest day.  I need to focus more on stretching and rolling.  I’m also hoping that a rest day followed by an easy pace 5k will set me up for a really good long run on Sunday.  I spent most of the night being a couch potato which was actually nice.

Saturday:

Planned: Long Run »  Actual: 5k

Today I had the 5k with 1 warm-up and 6 extra miles.  Given the area, and the fact that I’m not familiar with running routes I decided to just take this as an easy shakeout day.  I paced the Brookline Breeze 5k for the second year at a 10:00 pace.  I happen to love this race.  The first half has some hills with the longest hill being the first hill.  The best part of the race is coming back down the hill leading to the finish

I had a small crew that stuck with me for most of the race.  When we got to the hill at the end, I got everyone to pass me with a strong kick to the finish.  There were even a few people behind me that I got to cross the finish line ahead of me.  I even had a runner on the route that thanked me for being so encouraging.  That’s why I love doing this.  Helping people to find the strength to finish well and ahead of goal time.  I came across the line 2 seconds slow but I’ll take it considering everyone around me crossed ahead of goal time plus this was a gun time race.  I could have easily sprinted to make it on time but I didn’t feel the need to.

After the race, hubs and I decided to head downtown.  We walked around the Point and Market Square.  Had a drink a Parata Rum Bar and then stopped for ice cream at the new Millie’s location.  Such a beautiful day – the weather was perfect.

Sunday:

Planned: Cross Training »  Actual: Long Run + Strength Training

We got up early this morning to go for a run around the city.  It was a beautiful morning!  Cool, low humidity and a nice breeze.  We set out to do 8-10 miles.  A few miles in and hubs wasn’t feeling it.  We changed up the route so that he could end with 6 and I went on to do another 2.

This morning, I was really focused on my form.  Trying to extend my hip and activate my glutes and hips.  While I still have to think hard about doing this, it comes a little easier.  I can also maintain this for longer stretches of time over a longer duration.  The first night that I tried changing this technique, I could only hold it for about 50-100 meters.  The best part about this form change is that it helps me run faster.  I can feel my feet moving over the road in a smoother motion.  After my run, I had a quick snack and went to the gym for 40 minutes of total body strength training.

This weekend, I’m also working on my meal prep planning for a 2,000 calorie diet.  I’ll be posting more about this later.  I’m looking forward to see how it affects my training and my weight.  The scale still isn’t budging but I think that I’m putting on muscle now.  I’m feeling much better than I did a few weeks ago.

Breakfast: Gingerbread Overnight Oats.  Totally out of season…amiright?  But I want to start eating oatmeal for breakfast.  I’m also not a fan of overnight oats so I’ll prep them the night before then heat them up in the morning.  Easy peasy.

Snack: Quinoa Chia Seed Pudding….Quinoa in chia seed pudding?  Hmmmm….I’m interested to try this recipe out.

Lunch: Turkey Zucchini Meatballs with roasted veggies

Dinner: Vegan Chow Mein.  For when you want to eat all of the veggies!

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap with guest host Michelle

What is your favorite speed workout?

August 13, 2017 at 4:24 pm

I would say your track workout is win indeed! As you told me, this humidity is a killer and we have to cut ourselves a little slack. I have a veggie fried rice recipe that I love and I am going to make that this week too. Have a great week!

August 13, 2017 at 7:48 pm

You are so right! Every time we catch a break in the weather and I see my faster splits return, I get so excited. But until we get to the fall you just have to take the easy with the tough. Mmm veggie fried rice sounds delicious. I think I could each Chinese food every day!

August 13, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Great job with all of your training! Humidity is a major factor…thankfully (?), I haven’t had to deal with it much this summer due to my recovery. There have been some humid weather conditions on my walks, but it’s not much of a factor for walking as it is for running. Yes, I do kind of miss it LOL I’m curious to hear more about your form changes…I often wonder if that’s something I should consider. I’ve been doing things a certain way for so long…could there be a better way? or should I just keep doing my thing? Too many things to think about…

August 13, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Thank you! You have certainly been plugging along with your workouts while you are on the mend! I’ll write more about my form changes once I have it figured out a bit better and become more comfortable with it. I’m still in the stages where I don’t know if I truly have it down yet. My best advice if you are going to do form changes is to hire a coach or find a PT that specifically deals with form so that you get it right and don’t increase your risk for other injuries while you are changing your form!

August 13, 2017 at 7:50 pm

I also hate the humidity and the 800m repeat!! But I love that salad from Panera, as well as the Fuji Apple one! I’m a bit out of season with my meal prep inspiration lately too. But as far as I’m concerned, it’s never too early for fall.

August 13, 2017 at 7:51 pm

My thoughts exactly! I wish it could be fall all year round.
    It’s been a long time since I’ve had the Fuji apple salad – I’ll have to get that next time I go!

August 13, 2017 at 8:03 pm

When I was training for the Chicago Marathon, my coach had me do 1 mile repeats. I grew to love them because it’s really hard to run one mile fast consistently! Especially in the humidity!

August 15, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Truth! 1 mile repeats are really hard but that will get you race day ready for sure!

August 13, 2017 at 8:11 pm

The humidity sucks the life out of me. I have a hard time thinking about my form when I run. I feel like I don’t have the self awareness to know/understand/implement what I should be doing differently.

August 14, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Working with a coach that could watch me and tell me what my form actually looks like was the best way for me to create self-awareness. Now that I know what it should feel like, I can focus on engaging different muscles when I think about it.

August 13, 2017 at 8:55 pm

I’ve lived in the south all my life. I’ve never adapted to our summer seems-to-never-end humidity. I’m in awe of those that can. I’ve always wanted to pace a race. Great job on getting everyone in on time. For intervals, 600 is my favorite. Not too short…not too long. But I’d still prefer a tempo run any day. Hello? You had my at gingerbread. LOVE.

August 14, 2017 at 5:21 pm

lol that makes me feel better! I agree and wish that I was one of those people that adapt well. 600’s are fun! 400’s are my favorite.

August 13, 2017 at 9:26 pm

I know about neuromuscular work. I’ve been working on a faster cadence on the treadmill this summer so I can transfer it to the road. My chiro added faster cadence work late in my spring training, so when I got tired, I slipped back to what I had been doing. Using a treadmill means I can do it without having to think about it. I’d like to keep that in my legs without needing to think about it all the time.

August 14, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Using a treadmill is a great idea to help work on cadence. I use either songs with a certain beat per minute or a metronome app to help me when I was working on cadence on the road. It’s easy to run with the beat. I fear doing speed work on the treadmill at the paces I need to run. I haven’t come close to those speeds on a treadmill before….hopefully at the end of this I’ll be able to do that so I can keep this up over the winter though!

Marcia
    August 13, 2017 at 9:40 pm

I never adapt to the heat/humidity here in Chicago either. It just sucks the life out of me when I run. I love speedwork but I’d have to say 800s are my least favorite. Sooo hard! Nice job on them! I’m a super sucky meal planner. You inspire me to do it for once!

August 14, 2017 at 5:24 pm

The humidity is hard! Sometimes it just nice to know that you aren’t alone in that.
      If I didn’t meal prep, I would eat junk food all day long…and that would be no good for me lol.

courtney @ eatprayrundc
    August 13, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Humidity is the poor man’s altitude training. 🙂 So hard, so keep it up, lady! Fall will come and the weather will get better. That’s what I tell myself!

August 14, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Poor man’s altitude training hah – I love it!! Thanks! I can’t wait for the fall.

August 13, 2017 at 10:13 pm

800-meter repeats in the humidity are a serious challenge! I’ve got them on my schedule for this week and I’m so not looking forward to it. You did great! I’m so looking forward to fall – I’m just over this humidity.

August 14, 2017 at 5:26 pm

You’ll crush them! Hoping that you have a low humidity day on for your track workout so it feels easier!

Shathiso
    August 14, 2017 at 3:38 am

I have just been working on building endurance so haven’t tried any speed work yet! This week my coach has scheduled some fartlek training so I am eager to see how that goes! Well done on a super week of training including that 5k on the last day!! 🙂

August 14, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Thank you! Fartleks are fun and they are a great bridge to speed work. Have fun with your training!

Zenaida Arroyo
    August 14, 2017 at 7:20 am

Great job with all of your training!!! Bummer that you are not a fan of overnight oats. I eat that everyday for breakfast when I’m at school.

August 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Thanks! This morning was actually the first day that I ate them cold. This recipe finally had enough flavor in it!

August 14, 2017 at 8:23 am

Ohh that humidity is an absolute killer! I am so looking forward to running in Fall weather 🙂 You had a great week of training. Great job on your 5K too!

I love Panera! Their salads are always so fresh and tasty. The nearest one to me is about a 20 minute drive so I don’t go often, but it never disappoints.

August 14, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Thanks! There is a Panera right across the street from my gym so it’s really a struggle not to eat there multiple times per week lol

Tricia@MissSippiPiddlin.com
    August 14, 2017 at 11:25 am

Hey you can’t be from Mississippi and even pretend you don’t know what humidity is about! I get this, and way to push through that mess you can cut with a knife!
    I struggle with actually resting on rest days too, or I used too. I’m doing a much better job this summer. But I feel guilty when I don’t do anything. Rest is something though! We simply have to have it!
    I love a down hill race to the finish! Congratulations to your pacing and encouragement to the other runners! Glad to have you in the Weekly Wrap Sara!

August 14, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Thanks! I’m totally with you on the rest days…It’s such an important part of training but lately it’s just been a struggle to take my own advice and rest up.

Fairytales and fitness
    August 14, 2017 at 3:53 pm

How fun that you got to pace that race!

I’ve never had overnight oats but the gingerbread ones sound good for fall!

August 14, 2017 at 5:31 pm

If you go on pinterest there are probably more than 100 recipes for overnight oats. It’s nice because you can flavor them any way that you want. Most of the time thought, I’ve found that they aren’t flavorful enough for me so I need to adjust the recipes.

August 14, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Seriously, who LIKES humidity? But it makes us stronger runners, right?

It definitely sounds like you’re doing all the right things! And rest days are so important — I think the reason I felt so run down for a few weeks was just not taking a real rest day (hiking instead — but I love hiking!).

You had a very solid week.

August 14, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Thank you Judy! You’re right, as much as we all complain about the humidity, it will make us better runners for the fall!