26 In Running & Training

Summer 2017: Base Training Week 8

What I learned this week?  The humidity really is awful this summer.  Don’t we all know this?  It’s been kind of fun commiserating with the other runners that are also dealing with this.  At least we know we are not alone, right?  I’m coming at you with another “You know what’s weird” today.

You know what’s weird…In humid weather (60-90%), the sweat on our skin cannot evaporate which is why you may feel hot and miserable on your runs.  On my Saturday morning run we couldn’t even escape the humidity early in the morning.  It was 90% humidity and we felt like we were swimming on land.  This would have been an ideal day to take it inside for a workout instead of gutting it out on the road.

Monday

Planned: Rest Day » Actual: 3 miles + abs

I went to the gym on the way home today to be sure that I got my workout in.  Since I did lower body strength training yesterday, I opted for some ab work today.  When I got home, it was down to business.  Catching up on blog recaps for the week!

Tuesday

Planned: Track Work Tuesday » Actual: 30 minutes on the elliptical + lower body strength

It was hot, humid, and miserable out so I scrapped the track Tuesday workout.  Hubs joined me at the gym instead.  It was nice having him as a gym buddy again.  He did a full body strength workout while I just stuck to lower body strength again.  I need to work on my upper body though.  I have no arm/shoulder strength!

Wednesday

Planned: Cross training and strength training » Actual: Rest

Tonight, we took the night off for a date night with some of our running friends.  We met up downtown for drinks at Social House followed by pizza at Proper Brick Over and Tap House.  The pizza was ah-mazing!  Shaved asparagus, prosciutto, marscapone and parmesan.  After dinner, we went across the street to the Benedum to see Newsies.  It was a great show and a fun way to mix things up in the middle of the week.

Thursday

Planned: 4 miles » Actual: 7 mile bike ride

I was planning on running with a friend after work but once again, the humidity was really high.  We opted for a bike ride instead.  Pittsburgh has this cool bike rental program where bike stations are set up around the city.  Once you set up your account, you pick a bike and off you go.  Since there are multiple locations, you can ride from one area to another and park the bike while you do other activities.  It’s a great way to encourage people to be more active in the city.  I need to start doing this more often!

Friday

Planned: Rest » Actual: Rest

It was a boring Friday night for me.  I crashed when I came home from work.  I managed to get up when hubs got home from work so that we could go out to dinner.  When we got back, I started to prep for my Thursday blog post on the goal setting series before going to bed.  If you haven’t had the chance to read through the posts, here is the link to the first in the series – how to write a goal you can stick to.

Saturday

Planned: 8-10 miles » Actual: 5 miles, 45 minutes step, 45 minutes strength, 20 minutes elliptical

We got up early to head out for our miles.  As I talked about it was 90% humidity when we left.  2 miles in we had talked ourselves down to 6 miles.  By the time we made it to 4 miles we decided to just go for 5 miles.  I wasn’t happy with that mileage for the day so I decided to go to the gym.  I was excited to see that they had a morning step class so I joined in.  It was hard to get the moves down to begin with but it was such a good workout!  I love step aerobics even though it feels like an 80’s thing.  I wasn’t as impressed with the strength class.  I think that I will just continue to do my own thing.

This afternoon hubs’ parents came in and we all went out with my family to celebrate my grandmother’s birthday.  It was a nice night out having everyone together.

Sunday

Planned: Cross Training and Strength Training » Actual: 2 miles

This morning we got up early to go to church.  Afterwards, we did some food shopping and then hosted hubby’s family for lunch.  I snuck out for a quick two mile run between lunch and the rest of our day.

Since I knew that we wouldn’t really have time to meal prep like we usually do, I picked quick and easy recipes for this week.  Smoothies for breakfast, grab and go items for snacks and a fun little wrap for lunch.  I prepped out my smoothies today by cutting up the fruit and portioning it out into single serving bags.  Then, I just have to add the dry ingredients and almond milk.  Viola!

Weekly Recipe Inspirations:

Breakfast: I have found that I am loving the smoothie for breakfast.  This week I am going to switch it up with an anti-inflammatory protein smoothie.  Pineapple Ginger Tumeric Protein Breakfast Smoothie

Lunch: I stumbled across this recipe on pinterest and it sounds amazing!  Granola Crunch Apple-Pecan Peanut Butter Wrap

Dinner: Peanut Udon Noodles with Snow Peas

Sharing the love: Weekly Blog Link-ups

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap with guest host Darlene

July 23, 2017 at 5:25 pm

That is a fun fact about humidity – I didn’t know that. That explains why I always look like I’ve gone for a swim after a run in the humidity, lol. But yes, it kind of has been good knowing that all my running friends are suffering through either really humid weather, really hot weather, or both!

I love that you took a date night in the middle of the week. Maintain a social life is so important, but so hard during training! Great job on improvising your long run on Saturday. Your additional 2 hours at the gym more than made up for those 3-5 miles!

I’ll definitely have to try that Pineapple Ginger Tumeric Protein Breakfast Smoothie! I love smoothies and I’m always looking for new ones to try 🙂

July 23, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Suffering through with friends really does make it better! I also agree that maintaining a social life is really important. Right now, I do really struggle to get quality time in with friends outside of running.
    I’m really excited about the smoothies this week! You’ll have to let me know if you try them.

courtney @ eatprayrundc
    July 23, 2017 at 8:52 pm

I’ve been doing smoothies again and really enjoying them. Sounds like you had a great week with some good (albeit hot and humid) runs + good family time!

July 24, 2017 at 8:17 pm

The family time was great! Smoothies are my favorite breakfast! 🙂

July 23, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Everyone is indeed suffering with this humidity! I like how you do planned workout vs actual. Looks like you had a great week. Peanut udon noodles are certainly delish!

July 24, 2017 at 8:19 pm

I try really hard to stick to my plan but I know with visitors in town I won’t be able to stick to it like I want to. Good thing it’s still base training, right? I love peanut udon noodles! So good!

July 23, 2017 at 9:41 pm

When our humidity is extreme, I say my sweat is sweating. It feels so much better on the bike. You can create a breeze to cool your sweaty skin. That is a great bike program that Pittsburgh has. I’ve been enjoying smoothies this summer. Great idea to prep the fruit ahead of time!

July 24, 2017 at 8:20 pm

My sweat is sweating lol – I love it!! That is certainly what it feels like! I’m loving the bike program here and I do want to work that in to my regular routine.

July 23, 2017 at 9:56 pm

I had often wondered about the humidity thing (not evaporating). The other night, I water my flower pots on my porch, then went outside for a walk a couple hours later…and all of the water drips were still there. Isn’t that crazy???

July 24, 2017 at 8:21 pm

That is really interesting – I never thought about that also applying to watering your plants!! That is crazy!

Teresa
    July 23, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Gosh, the humidity is just insane this year! I often wonder if it is really worse than normal or just that I’m older and less tolerant. You still got in some great workouts despite it though….sometimes you just have to take it indoors!

Asparagus sounds delicious on a pizza ….I’ll have to try that! The hubs and I saw Newsies a couple of years ago while in Boston…. loved it!

July 24, 2017 at 8:24 pm

I like to think the humidity is worse this year lol. The pizza was great! Primavera style – I’m sure that you could make it at home too!

Christine @ Into the Glimmer
    July 24, 2017 at 10:35 am

Yep, humidity is awful and it’s really the dew point that makes it really bad. Here in the coastal South, our dew points (and humidity) are out of control. It feels more like swimming than running between the soupy air and sweat just sticking to my body. We’re going on vacation back home to Pennsylvania (where I grew up) and I always love going up there because it feels so much less hot and humid to me. While my friends and family who live there complain about how hot and humid it feels to them, I’m all like, this is like winter to me!

July 24, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Aww, your from PA?!? Man, I couldn’t imagine worse humidity than this. I wish this felt like winter! Enjoy your travels home.

July 24, 2017 at 11:13 am

All that sweat will explain why it feels so good to get home and stand in front of the fan. If the sweat starts to evaporate then, I can cool off.

July 24, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Standing in in front of the fan after a run must feel great! All that sweat evaporating must feel amazing!

July 24, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Proper’s food truck was at Grist on Saturday when I was there, and it looked really good! As I read everyone’s recaps, I realize just how much everyone struggled in that awful humidity this past weekend. Good for you for getting other workouts in at the gym after your run! Great pic of you running on the bridge!

July 24, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Ooh! Grist house…..I still need to go there. Maybe we can have a date night if we don’t do a run!!

July 24, 2017 at 9:16 pm

It has been crazy humid this summer! I didn’t think the humidity would affect my RA, but for sure it does. The one good thing about all that sweat is it does cool you down once you stop moving!

July 26, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Sorry to hear that the humidity also affects your RA….it’s tough enough just getting out there to run.

It is great as soon as you stop moving. Especially if there is a breeze!

July 25, 2017 at 6:10 am

Saturday was TERRIBLE! I so feel your pain. It’s been nice so far this week. Hopefully you can get out and enjoy it!

July 26, 2017 at 8:57 pm

This week is amazing! Just got out tonight. I’m hoping this weather streak will continue!

Darlene
    July 25, 2017 at 3:09 pm

We have not had a hot summer but it sure has been humid. It just sucks all the life out of your runs.

That bike program is so cool. I still have mine in the basement. This would work for me.

That bridge picture is awesome.

I was born in Pittsburgh but only lived there for a year.

Thanks for linking up.

July 26, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for hosting this week! The bike program is really nice. Maybe this will expand to other cities as well!

July 25, 2017 at 7:02 pm

I have not literally been dripping sweat in a long time, but last week was so humid even in Montana that I ended up dripping a few times.

July 26, 2017 at 8:59 pm

If Montana isn’t humid you are really lucky!
    PS – I was just considering the Missoula Half Marathon. I love their medal design. (I’m such a sucker for medals lol).