Summer 2017: Base Training Week 7

What I learned this week?

We all know this, but I was reminded of the importance of self care.  If I don’t prioritize sleeping well, I end up physically exhausted.  That’s what happened to me this week.  I had some late nights early in the week that caught up to me by Thursday.  My goal for Thursday was to run a local “flash 5k” event with our running group but instead, I came home and crashed on the couch.  This only compounded my sleeping issues.  Come Saturday, I couldn’t get out of bed for our morning long run.  I also decided not to eat breakfast, even though I know better and went out hoping for the best.  It was a miserable 6 miles.  I felt so sluggish.

The upside – I’m still in base training and this was a good wakeup call.  I still have room to improve on my diet, water intake, and sleep schedule.  Between working a full time job, blogging, training, and coaching I need to make sure that I am taking time daily to recharge.  Nutrition and sleep has such an impact on training ability.  For this week, I have taken the time up front to write out my priorities for each day, meal plan and prep, and write out my training schedule.  I’m a big checklist person so I know that writing down my workouts is my best chance to keep myself accountable.

Make sure that you take time for yourself this week.  One of my favorite quotes is that you can’t pour from an empty cup.  We are all busy.  If you make yourself a priority, you will have more to give.

Monday

Planned: Rest » Actual: Rest

Monday has become my day devoted to blogging.  I love catching up with my fellow bloggers!

Tuesday

Planned: 3 miles speed work » Actual: Rest

Tonight I went to meet with a new client.  I had planned on running at the park afterwards but it was raining.  The gym parking lot was packed so I just decided to go home and start working on my new client’s training plan.  This has become one of my new favorite things.  Creating different workout plans and pulling together resources to help each person work towards their own goals.

Wednesday

Planned: Cross Training » Actual: 3 miles + 60 minutes spin

I went to the gym today to get in a few miles and try the spin class there.  This was the first time I’ve taken spin at my new gym.  It was a really good class.  The instructor varied the intensity throughout the class working on speed and endurance.  My only complaint was with the bike seats.  Every time you go to a new class, you have to get used to the seats all over again!

Thursday

Planned: Flash 5k » Actual: Rest

Rest in a very literal sense.  I came home from work with the intention of sleeping for about 45-60 minutes.  I couldn’t fall asleep right away.  Then when the alarm started to go off I hit snooze a few times.  Finally I got up still in a fog, feeling even worse than I did before.  I decided to stay home.  Of course, as soon as I see the pictures I immediately regretted my decision to stay home.  Of all the flash 5ks, I have to say this was the best one!  Free timed 5k with food trucks waiting at the finish line.

Friday

Planned: Rest » Actual: 25 minutes on the treadmill

I went to the gym on the way home to get in a little extra time on the treadmill this week.  Afterwards, I went across the street to get a salad.  I’m enjoying my solo Friday afternoon until I go to leave and realize I don’t have my keys.  I immediately know they are locked in my car.  Now, to wait until hubs comes to pick me up, take me home, and go back to get my car.  Not how I imagined my Friday night going.

Saturday

Planned: 8-10 miles » Actual: 6 miles

We already talked about the culmination of my poor sleeping and eating habits this week.  I’ve already taken this information to create a better action plan for next week.  I have all of my meals planned out and prepped.  I’ll be minimizing sugar and making sure that I drink plenty of water.  I’ve learned how important sleep is and will ensure that I am getting to bed early enough especially early in the week.  Onward and upward.

Sunday

Planned: Cross Training » Actual: 3 miles + Lower body strength training

No alarm Sunday!  Ahh, I feel so much better now.  I started the day with a protein smoothie, an energizing diffuser blend, and a really long to do list.  We cleaned the house, meal prepped, and I got my workout in.  Today, I went to the gym for 3 miles on the treadmill + lower body strength training.  I usually do body weight and free weight exercises so I don’t do a great job with tracking my gains but I did notice today that I could add more weight on the machines that I usually do.  Yay for small wins!

I need quick breakfasts in the morning because I rarely feel like eating when I first get up.  This usually sets me up for failure because I just go to the cafeteria and eat unhealthy food.  This week it’s all about the rise and shine smoothie.  I’m adding in hemp seeds and chia seeds for an extra little boost.

For lunches, I’m doing homemade veggie burgers and roasted veggies again.

For dinners, I’m trying out two new recipies this week: Mushroom Stroganoff & Tahini Soba Noodles mixed with grated broccoli slaw and carrots.

Sharing the love: Weekly Blog Link-ups

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap with guest host Janelle

July 16, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Definitely know what you mean about getting good sleep. Overall I’m not a good sleeper and I am really trying to work on that! Like you said, it’s such an important part of self care!

Love your meal prep foods for this week. I’m also a big fan of breakfast smoothies. I always pack in spinach to give myself an extra dose of veggies.

July 17, 2017 at 5:32 am

Ooh! Yes, spinach is a great smoothie ingredient. I’ll have to switch it up during the week and do a frozen fruit and spinach smoothie. Best thing about smoothies is that there are so many options so you can’t get bored.

July 16, 2017 at 8:41 pm

My sleep and eating really effect my mood and my workouts. I can definitely feel it if I slack off.

July 17, 2017 at 5:33 am

If only there were more hours in a day, right?!

July 17, 2017 at 6:02 am

It feels like your body is telling you it’s tired. There is nothing wrong with a little extra rest!

July 17, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Truth! It was so nice to sleep in on Sunday 🙂

Zenaida Arroyo
    July 17, 2017 at 6:51 am

I also try to get as much sleep as possible because then it makes me cranky or a headache.

During the school year I eat overnight oats for breakfast. Easy to make and delicious.

July 17, 2017 at 7:33 pm

I have tried over night oats with 3 different recipes and I just can’t get into it. Doesn’t have the right flavor.
      Do you have a favorite recipe?

July 17, 2017 at 7:52 am

I usually say you “have to put on your own oxygen mask first” but I really like the imagery of not being able to pour from an empty cup. I crashed hard ~ 8 pm last night. I was just DONE. Hopefully that extra rest will give me a good start for the week.

July 17, 2017 at 7:34 pm

I also like the oxygen mask analogy!! Glad to hear that you got some extra sleep – Hoping it gives you a good start to the week as well!

Meranda@Fairytalesandfitness
    July 17, 2017 at 7:53 am

I hope you can get some good sleep this week! I’m not a big breakfast person either so quick and easy stuff is good for me!

July 17, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Thanks – I’m feeling good so far! I know that this Wednesday will be another late night so I’m going to try to go to bed early tomorrow.

Janelle @ Run With No Regrets
    July 17, 2017 at 8:35 am

Lacking in sleep can really throw you off your game! It looks like you’re all caught up now and ready to hit the ground running! I’ve learned the importance of self-care these past couple of months – it really helps!

The veggie burger looks amazing – I may need to try it out this week!

July 17, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Self care is huge! And so is nutrition and sleep when your active.
      The veggie burgers are so good! You’ll have to let me know if you try them.

July 17, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I had two restless nights early last week, and I was stressed going into the 3rd night. I pulled out Sleepytime Tea and a calming spray from Bath and Body Works. I wasn’t going to toss and turn, and these seemed to help. I finally got back to sleeping during a stressful week.

July 17, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Glad to hear that the tea and the spray were helpful for you! I try to use lavender oil at night to help me with sleeping.

Marcia
    July 17, 2017 at 1:30 pm

I hear you on the sleep thing. So SO important. My workouts reflect poor sleep in a big (bad) way.

July 17, 2017 at 7:57 pm

I wish I was one of those people that can get away with a few hours of sleep each night!

July 17, 2017 at 7:09 pm

I still know people who brag about how little sleep they get and laugh at how early I go to bed. Their loss since sleep is so critical! Last year I had a problem with not getting enough sleep while I was training, and it was the worst. So I feel your pain! Good job for still getting out there on Saturday! I hope you do some posts about your coaching and what services you offer. I have only worked with an online coach (from the Hansons group) who was awesome (but super expensive) and might be up for working with a local coach at some point!

July 17, 2017 at 8:00 pm

I wish I could function better with less sleep but you are right, it is critical! I will do some posts about coaching when I get everything set up. Right now, I’m working on getting all of my forms together. Then I’ll meet with a CPA……exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time! If you haven’t seen my Thursday posts, I talk more about coaching/practical running related topics 🙂

Teresa
    July 17, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Sleep isn’t a problem for me but eating breakfast is. I know how important breakfast is but I’ve never been a breakfast eater and I’m just not hungry in the morning. This makes it way too easy to head out for a run on an empty stomach…which is really ok for short distances, not so much when I’m training for something though.

That mushroom stroganoff sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing …I’ll have to give it a try!

July 18, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Agreed. Usually a short run is no big deal up to 5-6 miles but I need to figure out something that will get me through on the longer runs. Sometimes I can get away with a Larabar. The mushroom stroganoff is tasty! We had it on Sunday. I hope you enjoy it if you try it!

Renée
    July 18, 2017 at 10:05 am

I so hear you on the sleep thing. My sleep has been awful for ages and I’m trying everything to make it better! It’s tough though – I honestly think mine’s down to the “change” starting to happen (I’m 48 so it’s not illogical…). Last night I listened to sleep podcasts and that helped GET me to sleep but I woke up an hour later 🙁 ugh.

July 18, 2017 at 4:25 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that you are struggling with sleep! Sleep podcasts…..that is interesting. Do they talk about how to get better sleep or is it white noise or something to help you fall asleep?

courtney @ eat pray run dc
    July 18, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Yep, been there. REST is so important. I find it’s even more important with the heat and humidity! I try to nap at least one weekend day.

July 20, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Napping is the best! I didn’t even really think about rest being even more important with the heat and humidity – good point!!