29 In Weekly Training Recap

Summer 2017: Base Training Week 6

What I learned this week?  I love trivia and random facts.  Growing up, I famously coined the phrase, “You know what’s weird…”  So today, I am going to share a random fact with you.  Even though I actually learned it last week while I was researching for my post on the importance of rest in our training cycles.

You know what’s weird…If you monitor your heart rate on a daily basis you can use that information to know if you have fully recovered from your last hard work out.  It’s so simple and it makes so much sense!  By the way, if you have a fancy Garmin your watch will do this automatically for you.

If you don’t have a fancy Garmin and are interested in testing this out all you need is a watch (clock, or your phone) and a notebook.  Every morning when you get up take your pulse and write down how many times your heart beats in one minute.  There will be some variability from day to day but, if your heart rate is elevated 7 or more beats per minute you probably haven’t fully recovered from your last hard work out.  You can use that data to change your schedule and take an extra easy day before tackling your next hard work out.

Monday

Planned: Rest » Actual: 2 miles

Since I slacked off on my weekend workouts, I thought that I should take advantage of a quick neighborhood run tonight.   The humidity this week – I can’t deal with it anymore.  Where are those cool 40-50 degree spring and fall mornings?  I’ll take them any day over this weather.

Tuesday

Planned: 5k » Actual: 5k

Every year for the last 4 years, we’ve gone to the Brentwood firecracker 5k.  It’s one of my favorite races even though it is a hilly course.  The whole community gathers in the morning for the parade which comes through after the 5k is completed.  It’s nice to have the extra course support.  It almost feels like you’re running a city marathon.  The finish line celebration is the best though!  Bagels, Smiley Cookies, popsicles, beer, Gatorade and raffle prizes.

This is my 3rd year pacing the race as well.  We were dead on when we hit the first mile marker.  I never saw the second mile marker but we ended up crossing the finish line about 40 seconds too fast.  Yikes!  That was much faster than planned.

Brentwood firecracker 5k

Wednesday

Planned: Cross Training » Actual: Chisel Agility, Hammer Power, 2 mile run

Holy squat jumps!  My hami’s and glutes were so sore after this.  Maybe that’s a good thing?  Hello booty!  I got the Beach Body Hammer and Chisel program a few weeks ago when they had a summer sale.  These are the only two workouts I’ve completed so far because I don’t have a bench or a pull up bar but I am loving them!  I am going to try to do this at least once a week.

Thursday

Planned: 3 miles » Actual: 40 mins elliptical / 25 mins treadmill / 30 mins spin class

I wanted to give my legs a little break today so I opted for cross training instead of running.  One of my running buddies was holding a test class for her cycling instructor certification so I went to the Bethel Park Club Cycle after hitting the gym.  This was my first experience at a Club Cycle.  When you walk in, the room is dark with special effects lighting and big screens lining the front wall.  You have the option of having your stats displayed on the screens at the front of the room.  Being competitive is a terrible thing in that class lol!

The classes there are a lot of fun.  Loud upbeat music and a quick pace.   I was so sweaty by the end, I was glad the class was only 30 minutes!  My friend did an amazing job leading the class that night and I was so proud of her for stepping out of her comfort zone to do so.

Friday

Planned: Rest day » Actual: Rest day

So glad it was a rest day.  My legs needed a night off.  I spent the night working on writing training plan templates.  I’m continuing to inch closer and closer to my goal of kicking off a running coach business.

Saturday

Planned: 6 miles » Actual: 8 miles

I thought that I would continue to ease myself back in to training since I only ran 3 miles last weekend.  Hubs suggested that we run 8 since it was cloudy and seemed cool.  It seemed cool until we started running and you could feel the humidity.  We decided on the fly to run an 8 mile loop course which would take us up a 1 mile hill.  Man that hill was tough!  I just kept on reminding myself that hill running is strength training and I have big goals for this fall.  After reaching the top of the hill we had a flat/down hill route to get back to the car.  The dark clouds started to roll un just as we were reaching 7.5 miles.  I kicked up the pace as much as I could to make sure that we got back to the car before it started raining.

Sunday

Planned: Cross Training » Actual:

Today, I wanted to revisit the Chisel Agility and Hammer Power combo to see if I would recover better the second time around.  During the workout, it felt more challenging this time around.  I’ve already put in a hard week of workouts so this isn’t unexpected.  Fingers crossed that I’m not sore tomorrow.

As usual, we spent time today prepping food for the week.  I have come to the conclusion that I am going to try a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet.  I don’t eat a lot of dairy or eggs but I would like to have the option to occasionally include these two items in my meals.

This week I am testing out two tofu recipes.  I have aversions to certain textures with foods and I’m looking for ways to make tofu more palatable.  The best tofu I have ever had is the flash fried silken tofu from P. F. Chang’s.  Delicious but, I don’t think I could replicate that at home.  This week, I am trying one pan seared recipe and one baked recipe.

Meal Prep Recipe Inspirations:

Copycat Sofritas Tofu – I am totally digging the sofritas bowls at Chipotle!  I hope this turns out just like it

Spicy Vegan Peanut Butter Tofu with Siracha

Blackberry French Toast Breakfast Muffins – Who doesn’t love a good breakfast on the go recipe?!

Sharing the love: Weekly Blog Link-ups

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap with guest host Courtney.

July 9, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Thanks for the random fact – that’s pretty cool!

Another great week of training for you! That’s so cool that you ran a race on the 4th of July. Unfortunately there are no local 4th of July races near me so I just did a 4.5 mile run around the neighborhood. Oh, I’m totally with you in regards to the humidity. I really don’t know how much more of it I can take and I still have 13 weeks until my marathon – ugh!

July 10, 2017 at 5:52 pm

On the bright side hopefully the weather will turn before your training is up for Chicago. We just have to make it to September, right?

July 9, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Interesting about the heart rate. I’ll have to check my Fitbit data and see what it tells me!

July 10, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Fitbits – I didn’t even think about that. You’ll have to let me know what you figure out from looking at your data. I haven’t tested this out yet for myself.

July 9, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I used to track my resting hr-I have no idea why I stopped doing it. Thanks for the reminder. My trainer thinks I am over doing it a little so I can either prove him right or wrong. Thanks so much for sharing my Blackberry French Toast recipe! Have a great week!

July 10, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Anytime! Hopefully you prove your trainer wrong 😉
      And you’re welcome! I’m excited about eating the French toast cups!

July 9, 2017 at 9:04 pm

That’s great info on heart rate training, and it’s something every runner should know! Not that they’d pay attention…

You had a fantastic week of training! Keep it up!

July 10, 2017 at 5:55 pm

hahaha…..what are you trying to say about runners? 🙂

courtney @ eat pray run dc
    July 9, 2017 at 10:01 pm

I never track my heart rate, but I probably should. Thanks for the info, lady! And great week. I’m with you about the weather…UGH…..

July 10, 2017 at 5:55 pm

You’re welcome! I also haven’t tracked this for myself yet but I need to start. I think that it would help me dial in my training better.

July 10, 2017 at 12:01 am

I love the “You Know What’s Weird” thing LOL That would be a great weekly blog topic (wish I’d thought of it). I don’t do the HRM, but realize it would be beneficial. My bad.

July 10, 2017 at 5:57 pm

LoL….I’ll have to start a “You know what’s weird” column now. The HRM is totally new to me as well….still need to test it out on myself.

Zenaida Arroyo
    July 10, 2017 at 8:10 am

I don’t track my heart rate either. Yikes!

I love tofu. I’d rather eat it at a restaurant because it is so much better but I have made it at home and it is quite good.

July 10, 2017 at 5:58 pm

It is so much better at a restaurant, right? Although the copycat sofritas recipe is amazing!! Tastes just like Chipotle.

July 10, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I love tracking my HR during workouts but haven’t tracked my resting rate since burning through my 2nd Fitbit. (I just can’t wear my clunky Garmin all day!). I do remember Fitbit recorded a definite pattern on my resting HR — although it never occurred to me that it might be a recovery issue. Good to know. I like the shot of the yellow bridge! Thanks for linking with us on the Weekly Wrap!

July 10, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Thanks! I’ve never tracked my heart rate during workouts but now I’m interested in seeing how all of this data correlates together.

Thanks for hosting the weekly wrap! I’m enjoying the community and the chance to find new blogs to read.

July 10, 2017 at 7:21 pm

I love that you run with your husband! My husband was actually a big cross country star in high school, but he hates running (only did it then because his friends did it). I tell people that he has all the talent and no motivation, and I have all the motivation but no talent. So not fair! I love how you had 6 miles planned for your long run but you both spontaneously decided to do 8. You seem like a very spontaneous couple, which is awesome that you’re both like that!

July 11, 2017 at 8:20 pm

That’s pretty funny actually. When we first started everyone kept asking my husband if he could keep up with me because I was very athletic growing up (disclaimer – I’m not a “fast” runner). Now, I can’t keep up with hubs lol. He runs with me for all of our training runs but he is much faster than I am. And he doesn’t even really train…..just goes out for our weekly long run. So I feel ya!

July 10, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Great week Sara! I’m sorry I missed you in Brentwood!

July 11, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Thanks Steff! One of these days, our paths will cross!

Debbie @ Deb Runs
    July 10, 2017 at 8:52 pm

You really had a great week of workouts! Independence Day races are so fun!

July 11, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Thanks! They are great – I love dressing up for them!

Fairytales and fitness
    July 10, 2017 at 9:03 pm

I am fascinated by your heart rate trivia. I did not realize that your heart rate the next morning could tell you if you are fully recovered or not. I figured I was recovered about 15 minutes after my run…haha

July 11, 2017 at 8:23 pm

lol – I thought it was a pretty interesting piece of trivia. I still need to test it out 😉

July 11, 2017 at 9:04 pm

I love crispy baked tofu – the recipe I usually use is from Cookie and Kate. But pan frying is a pretty good substitute when it’s too hot to want to turn the oven on!

July 12, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I’ll have to search for that recipe. I’m sure it has to be on pinterest somewhere!

Christine @ Into the Glimmer
    July 12, 2017 at 8:45 am

I really would love to start tracking my heart rate. I got a FitBit Alta for Christmas and literally a month later they released one that had a HR monitor. Sigh. Anyway, I’m looking at Polar and Garmin as my options now. Thanks for linking up!

July 12, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Don’t you hate when that happens? I have a garmin that I love! It doesn’t automatically track HR and give you updates about when you are fully recovered but it gets the job done. Thanks for hosting the link up!