Summer 2017: Base Training Week 5

What I learned this week?  Rest is a beautiful thing.  When we ask our body to do crazy things, we need to allow it time to recover.  I spent the majority of this week resting or walking to recover from my “surprise” 50k last weekend.  If you missed the race recap, you can read it here.

Having a lot of extra time on my hands meant spending more time on social media.  In the fast paced and seemingly high pressure world of social media, it can be easy to get caught up in the comparison trap and miss the beauty of your own training, goals, or successes.  You may not be as fast/fit as the next person, run as many races, complete long distances, travel to exotic race destinations or have as many followers but what you are doing is pretty awesome and just as worthy of a celebration!  These people should be a source of inspiration and not a measuring stick.

Running your first race, kudos!  Got a shiny new PR, that’s amazing!  Found the discipline to stick to your training plan, I applaud your efforts!  Everyone is on their journey to compete with themselves and strive to improve over who they were yesterday.  This is not always a linear progression and that’s ok too.  You are doing your best.  Don’t ever let another person’s success dull your sparkle.

PNC water steps

Since my week was pretty boring, we can cut to the chase.  On Tuesday and Wednesday, I walked for a mile each day.  That was about all my legs could handle.  My first run was Saturday morning.  I somehow managed a 9:30 average pace for 3 miles.  My legs were feeling great and I could have run longer but the humidity was in the OMG-WTF range.  How I was wishing for the rain to come in!

Mid-Year Goals Check-In

I thought that it would be fun to go back to my IG post in January where I set my intentions and goals for the year.  Who can believe we are already a little past the midpoint of this year?!

RRCA Course Manuak

1.       Become an RRCA certified running coach – Check!  This was a great experience and I highly recommend the course if you have an interest in becoming a running coach.  What’s even more exciting is putting my skills to use as a running coach.  I’ve started to offer coaching for my friends and I’m currently looking into setting up as an official business.

2.       Run a sub 2 hour half and a 50 minute 10k – Still in progress.  My sub 2 hour attempt at the half marathon will come this fall.  Training will officially start in 4 weeks!  I haven’t raced a 10k yet this year but eventually I’ll get one scheduled.  More so than my 10k goal, I have my eyes on a sub 24 minute 5k which I’ll attempt in September.

3.       Run in 3 States I haven’t been to before – This year it looks like we will only hit one new State (Kentucky).  This goal was changed when we re-prioritized paying down some of our debts.  Eventually, I would like to complete a race in every State.  So far, 10 states down and 40 more to go.

4.       Strength train regularly – Hit or miss.  For the last 4 weeks, I’ve been really good about strength training twice a week.  Next week, I’ll get back in to my regular routine and carry this through the rest of my fall training.  I have a new gym membership and new exercise DVD’s so this should be an easy goal to maintain for the rest of the year.

5.       Start a blog – Here we are!  This took a lot of time and effort to get started.  Funny story…When I first started to set up WordPress I could not for the life of me get it figured out.  I started to work on the set up, got really frustrated and deleted everything.  For 3 weeks, I just let it sit out there.  Eventually, I came back and got my act together.  This has been a great experience for me and it has brought some new running friends in to my life that I never would have had the chance to meet otherwise.

full medal wall

For the next 6 months, I’ll continue to work on my blog and start fall training for my goal races.  Along the way, I’ve picked up another goal.  Lose about 10 pounds to get to racing weight.  I’m still working hard to get this one figured out.  I’m going to switch to a more plant based diet and see what that does to improve my weight loss and energy levels.

Another thing you may not know about me?  A while back I turned vegan for about 6 months.  I felt great but it was a little hard to keep up a vegan lifestyle and have a social life.  I may not go back to being totally vegan but I’m going to get closer to it and see what impact that makes on my training, sleep and energy.

To kick off this new adventure, here are a few recipes I’m using this week in my meal plan:

Banana Almond Baked Oatmeal Cups

Spicy Chickpea Veggie Burgers

Creamy Avocado Pasta (This is one of my favorite summer go to’s!  Only 15 minutes to make and oh so tasty!!)

Sharing the love: Weekly Link Ups

This week, I’m linking up with Steff of RunSteffRun and the Pittsburgh Running Bloggers, Courtney of Eat, Pray, Run DC, and Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap with guest host Kim.

What goals have you been working on this year?  Did you already achieve a few of them?

July 2, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Rest is certainly a beautiful thing! It looks like you are doing great with your goals this year, especially the blog! I had a goal to run a 1/2 marathon in 2 new states this year. It doesn’t look like I’ll hit that goal, but I will be running a race in Canada, so I feel like that counts, lol!

My one big goal is to get a PR in the Chicago Marathon 🙂

angelilli016@yahoo.com
      July 3, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Thank you! I really enjoy connecting with other runners through their blogs.
      Which race will you be running in Canada? Good luck with Chicago! I’m following your journey through and I’ll be cheering for you on race day!

Zenaida Arroyo
    July 2, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I love to rest and I take full advantage of it. My cat and I rest every day in the afternoon. We take a nap together. 🙂

angelilli016@yahoo.com
      July 3, 2017 at 5:52 pm

That sounds like the life! Naps are the best.

July 2, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Rest is a beautiful thing and I am recently learning how important it is. Look forward to connecting with you as your blog is new to me. Looks like we have the same eating habits so hope you will check out my meatless Monday link up sometime too

angelilli016@yahoo.com
      July 3, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Very nice “meeting” you! I will swing by and check out your meatless Monday link up. I love finding new recipes to try!

July 2, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Welcome to the blogging world!

Looks like you are doing well with the goals. I’m hoping to get back to that sub2, hopefully in the fall. I’m running RnR Chicago in 2 weeks but it would be really hard to sub2 in the summer here!

angelilli016@yahoo.com
      July 3, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Thanks, Wendy! Have you done RnR Chicago before? It’s always been on my radar but I’ve never been able to fit it in my schedule. Good luck with the rest of your training!

July 2, 2017 at 9:30 pm

My blog is new this year too! I blogged on Blogger in the past, so WordPress threw me a total learning curve. 🙂 Glad I found you!

angelilli016@yahoo.com
      July 3, 2017 at 5:56 pm

That’s awesome! Congrats on the new blog 🙂 I don’t know why WordPress was so tough for me lol.

July 2, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Good for YOU! You have a lot of ambitious goals, and it looks like you’ve made progress on achieving them. I’m also hoping to eventually conquer a race in every state (no preference of distance). Best Wishes!!

angelilli016@yahoo.com
      July 3, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Thank you! I think leaving the distance open makes it even more fun. We ran into another couple at Wine Glass Marathon last year and their quest was to do the most unique/iconic race in each State. I thought that was a cool strategy to go with. Good luck on your quest to conquer every State!

courtney @ eat pray run dc
    July 3, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Love your medal rack – I need a new one – I have too many on one rack. My I like to set one or two races as goal races for the year. My goal half marathon was back in March, when I ran 1:50:22. My goal full marathon is Berlin – shooting to run sub-4! Have a great week!

angelilli016@yahoo.com
      July 3, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Thanks Courtney! It’s really smart to just pick a couple goal races to really focus in on. Sub 4 – that’s a really exciting goal! I’ll be following you through training and cheering for you on race day!

Karen Bayne
    July 3, 2017 at 9:36 pm

I love your medal wall! You have some speedy times up there, your goals are in reach 🙂
    The humidity has been in the same range here in VA and it is killing me. My pace changes dramatically heat running so I m just hanging out for summer trying to survive.
    My summer goal was to step up strength training….so far, I am not crushing but i have time lol
    Congrats on becoming a certified coach!

July 7, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Thanks Karen! Here’s to hoping that in 3-4 months I’ll have 2 shiny new PR’s.
      I feel like the only way I can commit to getting my workouts in is to write them down and then do them 1st thing when I get home from work/go to the gym on the way home.

July 5, 2017 at 6:27 pm

You deserve some rest after your impromptu ultra! I’ve been vegan for nearly 7 years, and I’ve always found it easy. However, I think it’s easy for me because I choose to eat that way for animal welfare issues; for me, eating meat & animal products is the equivalent to eating babies after they’re tortured a bit first–in other words, completely disturbing and upsetting and not something I have the slightest desire to do. Have you considered eating plant-based most of the time but not in social situations or other times it’s hard for you? If you can find something that works for you, you’ll be much more likely to stick with it!

July 7, 2017 at 6:24 pm

That’s awesome that you have been vegan for 7 years!! I can easily do without the meat but I like to have some dairy products now and then. I like your idea of going plant based except for social situations! Such simple but practical advice 🙂

Debbie @ Deb Runs
    July 6, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I took the RRCA Coaching Course a few years ago and really enjoyed it! I love your curtain rod for your medals. I have two cafe rods for our marathon medals and a few of our halves (one for my husband and one for me). I’ve run out of room on it and now put my medals in a big bowl.

July 7, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Thanks! I like the bowl idea – so much easier!!
      Do you currently coach? It was a great class.